Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: LAST ACTION HERO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 12:57 PM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the review, Michael. It is rare to find a review that appreciates what this film is at its core. I have always appreciated McTiernan's style, and he zips his action styling up and really has fun with his subject, making Last Action Hero a guilty pleasure for years...and after your review, not quite so guilty.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,713 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 12:37 AM

The marketing campaign in the US was something I completely missed, apparently, and indeed that may have been one reason the film did better at the box-office in Europe, perhaps. I've always believed that the names of Schwarzenegger and McTiernan attracted many of the usual action movie crowd - who then got disappointed by this film. Anyway, it has been something of a pleasure in my family to watch this one - and nothing guilty about it. I understand what you're saying about the Hamlet sequence, and indeed the film has several hardly connected episodes. I read somewhere that they actually didn't have (or took) time enough to do some proper (re-)cutting. But that Hamlet sequence at least gave us the line "who said I'm fair?". And we always thought they could have made a tiny bit more out of that nice conversation between Jack Slater and Danny's mom. Thinking of this movie, it's not just a few funny lines that stick in one's mind but also something special like the bright colours. The movie parts are nice and shiny (while the real world in contrast to that is darker and less attractive) and it adds to the over all feeling of the film. (My children also liked the cameos of Sharon Stone and the T1000.) In short: my VHS version is of 1994, my DVD of 1997, I ordered this Blu-ray without hesitation. Thanks for a great review! Cees