Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
864 replies to this topic

#761 of 865 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:06 PM

Finally received If I Were King after several delivery delays.Quite a weak transfer and much chroma -- likely a recycle of the VHS master.

The film is a favourite so I'm not really complaining but still a bit of a disappointment.

#762 of 865 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,891 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 02 2014 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for that Allen.
I'll probably keep the UK version of Variety Girl and persevere with the PAL speed-up.

It's a shame about the poor condition of "Mrs.Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch"
I have a feeling it may have originally been listed as being on that fabulous 17 movie British box set "W.C. Fields - The Movie Collection" but was removed at the last minute.
It would now seem most likely it was rejected for the poor condition that you have described.
Posted Imagewcfields.jpg

Doug.

If they could have found the color animated segment for VARIETY GIRL, the film would have stood out as better entertainment. It is enjoyable with the number of guest stars.

While this is a complete factious story, well everything except finding the baby is made up, I was a proud member and officer for the New Orleans Tent back in the 80's and early 90's. I was a member in the Denver and Connecticut Variety Tents. Nationally we still sell hearts to our patrons to raise money for the clubs. They have a very valued history and I was proud to be a part of that great organization. The money raised in each state stays in each state to help abused and battered children along with purchasing needed medical equipment for ill children to be able to stay home. Variety Tents do good work.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#763 of 865 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:43 PM

MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH is really a bad transfer. There are scratches and dirt throughout the viewing. The sound is also harsh. I was disappointed but this is a very old film and very enjoyable. This is my first viewing of this W. C. Fields film.

Are you sure it was just the transfer?  Though the transfer itself wasn't great either, it looked to me that the problem had more to do with very poor elements, like it was sourced from a very rough 16mm print.

Finally received If I Were King after several delivery delays.Quite a weak transfer and much chroma -- likely a recycle of the VHS master.

The film is a favourite so I'm not really complaining but still a bit of a disappointment.

Didn't think it was quite that bad.  Strictly average as far as Universal transfers go.  This Day and Age had a noticeably more VHS look to my eye.

#764 of 865 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,891 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 03 2014 - 09:20 PM

Are you sure it was just the transfer? Though the transfer itself wasn't great either, it looked to me that the problem had more to do with very poor elements, like it was sourced from a very rough 16mm print.

I will agree to that. In giving the transfer the blame, I should have indicated the very poor elements. I guess this is as good as we will get.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#765 of 865 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 04 2014 - 04:34 AM

That transfer of MRS. WIGGS has been available overseas for years.  They may not have better elements because they took pains to make this one look as good as it does and hide its origins.  The NRA eagle and Paramount logo play against an old 1950s era MCA fanfare -- right away a sign that we're in trouble!  The titles consist of freeze frames that jump from one to another rather than dissolve.  The end credits which normally scroll also jump and those credits that are far down on the original scroll appear on both the bottom of first screen and the top of the second.  And everything in between those opening and closing credits looks like a clean but very soft 16mm print from an old '50s MCA TV print.

#766 of 865 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 02:19 AM

I just picked up For the Defense (1930).

William Powell plays a slick defense attorney and Kay Francis plays his gal pal. It's not as good as the films they made with Warners, but still worth the purchase.

This is a Kino-like presentation. A simple-straightforward transfer from a 35mm print with no digital cleanup. Video is watchable and sound is flat, but audible.

Press the "spoiler" button below to see screencaps.

Spoiler

#767 of 865 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 10:58 AM

Didn't think it was quite that bad.  Strictly average as far as Universal transfers go.  This Day and Age had a noticeably more VHS look to my eye.

You may be right--This Day and Age was ragged as well.I'm sure my expectations for If I Were King were too high.

#768 of 865 ONLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted June 18 2014 - 07:53 PM

Has Universal/Paramount ever released Skippy (1930)?

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#769 of 865 OFFLINE   Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:18 AM

Has Universal/Paramount ever released Skippy (1930)?

No.

#770 of 865 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 02:34 AM

One of the popular reviewers on a couple of sites, told me a few years ago that a friend in the trade(he himself is an editor and been at MGM and companies they merged with) said that MCA got a lot of crap elements copied down the street and not at Paramount. Whilst I have seen a lot of good DVDs of early Paramount, it is likey that these came from archive nitrates that survived. I saw many of the MCA-logoed prints on TV in in my country when they were newly purchased by a still major network here. Most of the ones I saw I do not own on DVD simply because it has not happened. Many of the depression-era titles from Paramount & others seemed to have sat on the shelf and not got a TV screening. Early British films were even rare, actually nothing really screened in those early TV days, Now I own some very fine British 30s films on DVD(alas in PAL) and a few DVDs. So I am seeing these rarities in old age that I should have seen when I was still in grade school. There are still heaps of films from many companies that I did see back 40 or more years ago that have never been available, at least, not legally. Same goes for a number of TV shows that are now lost, some deliberately.

#771 of 865 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:32 AM

One of the popular reviewers on a couple of sites, told me a few years ago that a friend in the trade(he himself is an editor and been at MGM and companies they merged with) said that MCA got a lot of crap elements copied down the street and not at Paramount. Whilst I have seen a lot of good DVDs of early Paramount, it is likey that these came from archive nitrates that survived. I saw many of the MCA-logoed prints on TV in in my country when they were newly purchased by a still major network here. Most of the ones I saw I do not own on DVD simply because it has not happened. Many of the depression-era titles from Paramount & others seemed to have sat on the shelf and not got a TV screening. Early British films were even rare, actually nothing really screened in those early TV days, Now I own some very fine British 30s films on DVD(alas in PAL) and a few DVDs. So I am seeing these rarities in old age that I should have seen when I was still in grade school. There are still heaps of films from many companies that I did see back 40 or more years ago that have never been available, at least, not legally. Same goes for a number of TV shows that are now lost, some deliberately.

What I heard is that after MCA purchased the films and got what they need for television syndication, they junked the elements.  Moreover, a lot of the elements Universal has used for old Paramount films have come not from its library, but from UCLA, which received a lot of extra prints from Paramount that weren't transferred to Universal. 

#772 of 865 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 08:19 AM

What I heard is that after MCA purchased the films and got what they need for television syndication, they junked the elements.  Moreover, a lot of the elements Universal has used for old Paramount films have come not from its library, but from UCLA, which received a lot of extra prints from Paramount that weren't transferred to Universal. 

I heard the same story, that Paramount made two dupe negatives for each film and that is what Universal Got - no original elements,no camera negatives.

#773 of 865 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:35 AM

TCM Shop looks like its starting to carry Universal Vault stock.  Their current selection is small, but will probably grow in the coming months.

I guess that leaves the Fox Cinema Archive effectively in the dust between TCM Shop and WB Shop -- too pitiful and substandard for either to try stocking or promoting.

#774 of 865 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 15 2014 - 10:49 AM

I heard the same story, that Paramount made two dupe negatives for each film and that is what Universal Got - no original elements,no camera negatives.

I talked to a person at UCLA about this some years ago. If I remember correctly, Universal got a 35mm nitrate print and a safety fine grain for the Paramount films. The only original negative nitrates they received were for the technicolor films, so they have the original 3-strip negatives only for those titles. I think Paramount then destroyed the nitrate 35mm negatives for the black and whites.  

#775 of 865 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 08:45 PM

Available on Amazon as of yesterday -

Against All Flags (1952) - available in Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection

Buccaneer's Girl (1950) - available in Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection

Calamity Jane and Sam Bass (1949)

Desire (1936)

Double Crossbones (1951) - available in Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection

Frenchman's Creek (1944)

Frontier Gal (1945)

General Died at Dawn, The (1936) - available in The Gary Cooper Collection

Golden Blade, The (1953) - available in Rock Hudson: Screen Legend Collection

Great Impostor, The (1961)

Gypsy Wildcat (1944)

Klondike Annie (1936) - was released by Image, but long out-of-print

Louisiana Purchase (1941) - in Bob Hope: The Tribute Collection Double Feature

Madame Sousatzka (1988)

River Lady (1948)

Romanoff and Juliet (1961)

Skylark (1941)

Star Spangled Rhythm (1942) - in Bob Hope: The Tribute Collection Double Feature

Truth About Spring, The (1965)

Yankee Buccaneer (1952) - available in Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection

#776 of 865 OFFLINE   Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:56 PM

All those titles and nothing of interest to me.

#777 of 865 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,982 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 29 2014 - 12:02 AM

"Truth About Spring" will be welcome news for Hayley Mills fans. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#778 of 865 OFFLINE   williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:25 AM

The only one I'm interested in is "Klondike Annie"

#779 of 865 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted August 29 2014 - 09:28 AM

DESIRE is wonderful - a slick and witty Lubitsch-like comedy with Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper, directed by Borzage.

#780 of 865 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 10:39 AM

They're sure ignoring their genre (horror/sci-fi) films.

I wish that Universal would release a MOD of RED SKY AT MORNING (but only if it's the original theatrical version, not the bastardized TV edit).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users