Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cliffhanger

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,311 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 11 2010 - 06:32 PM

Rich Gallagher

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Erik Johansson

Erik Johansson

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 07:46 AM

The trailer music is Mozart's Requiem "Dies Irae", identified and discussed here.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,072 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 12 2010 - 09:39 AM

This was one of my demo LDs back in the day.  The opening scene where the helicopter came up from below you was spectacular.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,530 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 09:59 AM

One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.  Thanks for the review!

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 10:04 AM

Cliffhanger has some really hysterical moments in it.  My personal favorite is one bit where Stallone is sliding super fast down a slope, while holding the face of one of the poor defenseless bad guys in the ice.  When they get to the cliff's edge, Stallone somehow pulls out an icehook and lodges it without pulling his arm out of its socket (and going from 60 mph to 0 mph in a single second).  The bad guy of course does not have the time or opportunity to use an ice hook, so he goes over the cliff backwards, and there's a great moment as he flies off the cliff of him starting the "ah-ah-ah-ah-AH..." before they cut to him plummeting in slow motion and yelling the traditional Goofy "Wah-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo..."   I know I should pay more respect to his character, but I remember being really tickled by this...

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,311 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 12 2010 - 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Johansson 

The trailer music is Mozart's Requiem "Dies Irae", identified and discussed here.
Thanks. Harlin talks about the music during his introduction to the trailer, but for some reason he does not identify it.

Rich Gallagher

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,690 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 02:42 PM

This is perhaps my absolute favourite Stallone film....it's just so damned entertaining!  I will definitely have to replace my DVD at some point.

Recently watched- Star Trek: Season 2, Zardoz, Royal Flash, Man Of Tai Chi, Inkheart, Ladyhawke, 47 Ronin: 3D, The Killer Elite, 3 Days To Kill, Pitch Black, The Amazing Spider-man 2: 3D, Khartoum, The Babadook, Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb, The Blue Max, Blade, Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 4, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 1, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection

"I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz."

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted January 13 2010 - 02:17 AM

As much as people like to make fun of Renny Harlin and his movies, he has made a handful of decent flicks and this one is his best IMO. Action movies are typically "check-your-brain-at-the-door" type of stuff so I try not to overanalyze them. They certainly don't make them like this anymore.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 03:02 PM

I watched this and I was laughing and loving it. It's been a few years but there are some moments of the film that just crack me up. The way that Qualen keeps messing with Travers, When Kynett tries to kill Stallone's character and does all that talking before hand. When the English guy is describing being a striker on the soccer team. I was just busting a gut!

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the film. It's still a top flight action film and certainly Stallone's best outside the Rocky/Rambo films. 

I can't go there as far as the reviewer on the video. I felt there were some soft moments and lack of fine detail in the picture. Some moments colors were bolder, some not. Overall, it's pretty decent for an early 90's film. 

Now the audio was surprisingly robust. While dialogue wasn't that great, effects really came to like and were fairly articulate. It's a definite upgrade over the DVD. 

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   KMR

KMR

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted January 20 2010 - 11:44 AM

When I saw this movie years ago, it took me a little while to get into it, because the whole plot is set into motion by an event at the very beginning that should never have happened in the first place.  What was Stallone's character doing up there in the mountains using cheap non-professional equipment that I wouldn't trust 30 feet up in a tree in the back yard?  But once you accept all the silliness, the movie's a pretty fun ride.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2010 - 04:50 AM

We watched our copy last night. It had been several years since I last saw this film, and agree that it is a fun, yet completely implausible movie. We noticed several continuity and plot hole issues, but it's still very entertaining.

I expected the video quality to be excellent, but was especially impressed with the audio. It's a terrific DTS HD Master soundtrack -- demo worthy, IMO. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users