Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Halloween II: Unrated Director's Cut (2009)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,863 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 04:26 PM

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 12:53 AM

Really good review, Neil. 

Personally, Halloween II gets my vote as 2009's worst movie.  I like Zombie's stuff prior to Michael Myers, but I couldn't find anything worthwhile in this mess.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,658 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 12 2010 - 01:11 AM

I don't know if it was mentioned on the disc but this movie was shot on 16mm.

As a fan of the Halloween series, this movie is lousy but it's still better than most of the other Halloween sequels. I'm hoping that the footage added back fixes some of the problems with the movie though.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 12 2010 - 04:06 AM

I remember reading something about 20 minutes being added back to the film. I don't know if this has anything added to it that would be considered significant (more than 10 minutes would qualify in my book) but I really didn't like the theatrical version and I usually tolerate this type of project from particular directors (I enjoy most of Zombie's films). I might be inclined to rent the unrated version IF anyone can confirm it is a better film
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 04:55 AM

I wrote a more lengthy review in the Movies Forum about this but, just to recap, I basically felt that most of the flaws from Zombie's first film were just amplified in this film. Again, the film gives no one to care about (with the one exception of Brad Douriff, but even his character seems to devolve from the first movie into another White Trash type). The Laurie Strode character is really just a non-entity (and even though it is often said Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie was pretty much wasted in the original HII, she has the complexity of Michael Corleone compared to this iteration). And why the hell would Laurie still be hanging around in Haddonfield anyway? I guess maybe she gets a free place to live, but you would think she would at least be somewhere far away on Halloween especially when Myers's body "went missing" As much as I enjoy Malcolm McDowell, his story is completely superfluous until maybe the end of the film. It should have just been established quickly that he became a media whore with his book and then have had him show up at the end.

However, Zombie does have a good flair for cinematography and there were some pretty nice shots.

I'll probably still end up buying it thought, I'm a pretty big Halloween Junkie.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 12 2010 - 06:27 AM

Thanks WillG I'll probably cave and pick this up after all. I can't say I loved the first one but I certainly enjoyed it and I think is a perfect example of a radical re-imagining of a tired idea. Zombie took the original concept and amped it up his way and, for me at least, it worked OK. I'm not a huge supporter of remakes but I think you can take a concept and radically reinvent it and the results can be interesting, kind of like what Peter Jackson did with King Kong. The dream sequences in H II kind of reminded me of the ghost flashbacks in The 1983 slasher flick The Forest.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,658 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 10:37 AM

I rented it and the biggest change that I noticed is that there's a fairly big subplot with Laurie being really angry towards Annie in the first half of the movie. I remember people saying that they found Laurie unsympathetic in the theatrical cut so the director's cut will probably make those folks take the disc out of their player and snap it in half. I had no problem with Laurie in the theatrical cut but the director's cut turned her into a real bitch.

I think some elements are changed in the climax but I can't remember that part of the movie from my theatrical viewing. That says more about the movie than my memory.

#8 of 12 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,863 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 11:31 AM

The hospital sequence has several elements added (which I won't reveal here) but they make those scenes much more gruesome.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,658 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 05:17 AM

After listening to the commentary, I have alot more sympathy for Zombie now. It sounds like he really got burned by The Weinstein Company. He says how during the shoot, they wouldn't pass down important production information and they'd keep cutting the budget and cutting days from the shooting schedule which made him have to change alot of stuff on the spot. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Maybe if the production had no problems, the movie still would have been bad but I can't imagine that all the problems caused by The Weinstein Company didn't result in a worse movie.

I've read interviews with Zombie where he said that he'd never work The Weinstein Company again and from the sound of things, I don't blame him.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 13 2010 - 05:34 AM

I don't think anyone is working with the Weinstein Company ever again anyway :-). They're broke

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 14 2010 - 04:45 AM

I was really dissapointed by this when I saw it in the theaters.  I really liked Zombies first Halloween, this one was just terrible.  That damned horse and ghost mum stuff made no sense to me at all.  That said, I'm curious to give it a second chance seeing as I did have high expectations the first go round. 

I'm one of the ones who found Laurie to be annoying, and didn't think it made much sense for every character to become a goth emo kid.  Sounds like they explore that more in the unrated cut.  I'll wait for this to hit the cheap bins.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,658 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

I'm one of the ones who found Laurie to be annoying, and didn't think it made much sense for every character to become a goth emo kid.  Sounds like they explore that more in the unrated cut.

For what it's worth, the additions do make Laurie more interesting (and helps give a little more background info on her friends) but those additions also make her pretty unlikable. While I generally think it's best to have likable protagonists in horror movies, I think 'unlikable Laurie' works best for this movie.