Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Super Stars

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,418 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 05:44 AM

Posted Image 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 05:58 AM

The list of shorts has already been released on tvshowsondvd.com, but for convenience sake:

Bugs Bunny: Hare Extrordinaire:

No Parking Hare
Jack Wabbit and the Beanstalk
Hold the Lion, Please
What's Cookin', Doc?
Which is Witch?
Mutiny on the Bunny
Bushy Hare
Hare We Go
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired Hare
Foxy by Proxy
Hare Lift
Upswept Hare
Hare Trimmed
Robot Rabbit

Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl:

Tick Tock Tuckered
Ain't that Ducky?
Nasty Quacks
Daffy Doodles
Along Came Daffy
The Prize Pest
Quack Shot
The High and the Flighty
Boston Quackie
Don't Axe Me
China Jones
Daffy's Inn Trouble
Quackodile Tears
Good Noose
Fast Buck Duck

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 06:05 AM

I am looking forward very much to having these classics finally on DVD.  Bushy Hare is one of my favorite Bugs cartoons.

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,632 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 11 2010 - 06:41 AM

Nice.

Guess the marketing numbers showed that single disc, character themed releases were the way to go. I'll gladly pick these up and place them next to my Golden Collections, especially since there are no repeated films.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 06:44 AM

It should be noted that tvshowsondvd just retracted their contents listing at the request of Warner Bros.  I'll leave my original post up, but now all bets are off regarding the actual shorts.

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,632 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 11 2010 - 06:46 AM

Well, here's hoping that whatever 30 films they are they are indeed not repeats of the Golden Collection films.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,224 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 11 2010 - 07:34 AM

as stated as long as its not repeats these are mine as well, but i was really hoping for something so much bigger, they have really scaled down on the great releases, never going to see another Tarzan collection, maybe i should just be happy that these are not archive collection i guess. but it seems that all the great anouncements never seem to get finished, where are the rest of the Popeyes? The long rumored Tex Avery set?, WB when the Golden Collection went away, i was expecting the next big thing, 1080p, 4 disc, looks like it will just have to wait, like my missing Woody Woodpecker, or the Tom & Jerrys that were left off for censorship reasons.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 11:01 AM

More great news!!  Thanks WB!!!

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Nice.

Guess the marketing numbers showed that single disc, character themed releases were the way to go. I'll gladly pick these up and place them next to my Golden Collections, especially since there are no repeated films.

I really hope that Bushy Hare and Which is Witch are still going to be included.

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,530 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 03:16 AM

TVShowsOnDVD just updated with a new post.  Apparently the original list of shorts was incorrect.  The new list as it appears on WHV's internal site is....

Quote:
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire:
    [*]Apes of Wrath[*]Bedevilled Rabbit[*]Bushy Hare[*]Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare[*]False Hare[*]Foxy by Proxy[*]From Hare to Heir[*]Hare Trimmed[*]Hare We Go[*]Lighter than Hare[*]Lumber Jack-Rabbit[*]Mad as a Mars Hare[*]The Million Hare[*]Mutiny on the Bunny[*]Napoleon Bunny-part

Looney Tunes Super Stars' Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl:
    [*]Daffy's Inn Trouble[*]Design for Leaving[*]Dime to Retire[*]Ducking the Devil[*]The Iceman Ducketh[*]People Are Bunny[*]Person to Bunny[*]The Prize Pest[*]Stork Naked[*]Suppressed Duck[*]This Is a Life?[*]Tick Tock Tuckered[*]Nasty Quacks[*]Daffy Dilly[*]Wise Quackers

While we lost Which is Witch the list did keep Bushy Hare.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 03:49 AM

Interesting!  When I first saw the artwork, I thought we were doomed for re-releases, but this is a pleasant surprise.  My only disappointment is that I'm frankly tired of Bugs & Daffy - I want a Foghorn collection.  I'll be picking this up nonetheless.

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 03:59 AM

I'm surprised one of the most popular 1950s shorts featuring Bugs, Hare-Way to the Stars, still has yet to be released on DVD.  It didn't make it on the Golden Collections, and I had hope it might make it on these first two Looney Tunes Super Stars.

If there aren’t any extras included in this new series of sets, I will greatly miss the audio commentaries and the music and effects only tracks.

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 06:17 AM

TVShowsOnDVD is still speculating on what cartoons will be included. The finalized list should be posted at Cartoon Brew. I'll wait for that.

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 06:29 AM

Fingers crossed that Which is Witch is still included.  It is a great Friz Freleng short that has rarely been aired on television.

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,386 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 12 2010 - 09:50 AM

Nice to see these are continuing and not in the archive series.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 03:16 PM

At least they are starting to release some more Looney Tunes.  Hopefully, there won't be repeats of cartoons from the "Golden Collection" series as other posters have stated.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Terry Hickey 

Hopefully, there won't be repeats of cartoons from the "Golden Collection" series as other posters have stated.
We already know these are new-to-DVD. See post #10. Also verified by Jerry Beck on Cartoon Brew.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 08:40 AM

Cartoon Brew lists the same films TVShowsOnDVD did in their revision, meaning a few cartoons have indeed been dropped. Jerry Beck says the dropped films were due to restoration issues.

Beck also mentions a few other things: both he and WB are aiming to eventually restore and release the entire library of Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. These two new DVDs are aimed at everyone, collectors and families alike (both the Golden Collections and Spotlight Collections were too expensive for the average consumer). He is involved with the planning of future releases and additional titles can be expected later this year. There are plans for Looney Tunes on Blu-ray.

http://www.cartoonbr...s-in-april.html

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt 

Cartoon Brew lists the same films TVShowsOnDVD did in their revision, meaning a few cartoons have indeed been dropped. Jerry Beck says the dropped films were due to restoration issues.

Beck also mentions a few other things: both he and WB are aiming to eventually restore and release the entire library of Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. These two new DVDs are aimed at everyone, collectors and families alike (both the Golden Collections and Spotlight Collections were too expensive for the average consumer). He is involved with the planning of future releases and additional titles can be expected later this year. There are plans for Looney Tunes on Blu-ray.

Happy as I am for the Blu-ray folks, there's a real possibility that Warner will get distracted by the shiny new bauble and never actually get all of these out on disc.  I'm more than a little fed up with this ridiculous treadmill where we just regurgitate the same stuff ad infinitum.

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,913 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt 

By this, it appears that the so-called "Censored 11" will eventually be restored

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users