Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PHE Press Release: The African Queen (DVD) ** UPDATED MENU ART **

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,759 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 05:11 AM

Posted Image

FULLY RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL GLORY, 
DIRECTOR JOHN HUSTON’S MONUMENTAL CLASSIC DEBUTS ON DVD AND BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

THE AFRICAN QUEEN
The Final Film  from AFI’s 100 Greatest Movies to Arrive on DVD Makes its
 Long-Awaited Premiere March 23, 2010 
Including Nearly an Hour of All-New Bonus Material

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (January 11, 2010) – Filled with adventure, drama, humor and romance, the epic and enduring cinematic classic THE AFRICAN QUEEN will finally make its way home when it debuts on DVD and Blu-ray for the first time ever on March 23, 2010 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  Meticulously restored using state-of-the-art 4K digital technology, THE AFRICAN QUEEN will now be available for a new generation to appreciate and for long-time fans to see again, as if for the first time. Legendary director John Huston’s treasured romantic adventure stars the incomparable Humphrey Bogart as hard-drinking boat captain Charlie Allnut—a role that won him his only Academy Award® (Best Actor, 1951)—and renowned actress Katharine Hepburn as missionary Rose Sayer in a tale of two disparate people thrown together by fate and drawn together by love.

A six-year journey filled with challenges nearly as difficult as those faced by Rose and Charlie, the restoration process began at the source: Romulus Films—one of the film’s original production companies—provided access to the original three-strip negative at a London facility where the film was carefully scanned and digitized.  The separate elements were then transferred to Los Angeles and painstakingly recombined and inspected frame by frame to ensure that every detail aligned and that any dirt and scratches were removed.  

To ensure that the restored picture matched the filmmakers’ original vision, Paramount arranged a screening of an MPAA archive print for the film’s original cinematographer, Academy Award® winner Jack Cardiff*, whose comments were recorded live during the screening.  That same archival print was later screened alongside the newly restored version so that the restoration team could ensure that all of Cardiff’s notes had been addressed.  The result is a vibrant, warm picture that reverentially recreates the film as it was originally meant to be seen.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN will be available as a single disc DVD or Blu-ray and also in Commemorative, Limited Edition DVD or Blu-ray box sets.  Both the DVD and Blu-ray feature a new documentary entitled “Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen”, which includes new interviews with contemporary film experts such as Martin Scorsese and incorporates home movies, archival images and more.  The Commemorative box set includes either the DVD or Blu-ray detailed above, plus an audio disc with a recording of the Lux Radio Theater broadcast of The African Queen, a reproduction of Katharine Hepburn’s out-of-print memoirThe Making of The African Queen or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind, a Senitype® film frame collectible reproduction and postcards featuring reproductions of images related to the film.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN DVD & Blu-ray
THE AFRICAN QUEEN DVD is presented in full screen format with English, French and Spanish Mono and English, French and Spanish subtitles.  The Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English, French and Spanish Mono and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Special features are as follows:

• Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen—This comprehensive documentary takes a look back at the production with commentary about the cast, the challenges of the filming locations and how the spectacular cinematography impacted the industry overall. Includes on-camera interviews with notable Hollywood icons, critics and crew members from the film including Martin Scorsese, Tony Huston, Richard Schickel and more, plus never-before-seen archival images and home movie footage provided by the estate of cinematographer Jack Cardiff.

The Commemorative, Limited-Edition DVD and Blu-ray box sets include the above along with:

• An audio disc with a recording of the Lux Radio Theater presents The African Queen radio broadcast
  • A Senitype® film frame collectible reproduction
  • Collectible postcards featuring reproductions of images related to the film
  • A reproduction of Katharine Hepburn’s out-of-print memoir The Making of The African Queen or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind

About Paramount Home Entertainment 
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN
Street Date: March 23, 2010
Pricing: $19.99 U.S. (DVD)
               $26.99 U.S. (Blu-ray)
               $34.99 U.S. (DVD Box Set)
               $43.99 U.S. (Blu-ray Box Set)
U.S. Rating: Not Rated
Canadian Rating: G
Runtime: 105 minutes 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 05:24 AM

Wow, for once there really is no compelling reason for me to get the deluxe version.  It'll be nice to finally get this one.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 07:01 AM

That is beyond awesome. Can't wait!

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 11 2010 - 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil 

Wow, for once there really is no compelling reason for me to get the deluxe version.  It'll be nice to finally get this one.
I NEVER want all the extra stuff they put in those big boxes.  I'm glad they're putting out a single-disc release--and at what looks like a good price ($19.99 MSRP). 

Gosh...this is truly one of the last "big name titles" to make it to disc.  This one's been kicking around the HTF since its beginning.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 07:15 AM

Will be getting the Blu-ray Box, I think. Now Wings please. *scnr*

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 09:45 AM

Little early for April Fools pranks, isn't it Ron?

But I will believe it when it's in my hot lil hands.

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 10:54 AM

Terrific!! I like this quote: "To ensure that the restored picture matched the filmmakers’ original vision, Paramount arranged a screening of an MPAA archive print for the film’s original cinematographer, Academy Award® winner Jack Cardiff*, whose comments were recorded live during the screening.  That same archival print was later screened alongside the newly restored version so that the restoration team could ensure that all of Cardiff’s notes had been addressed." Not sure if I'd get the Blu-ray box....but I just might.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 12:35 AM

Well.....

Amazon's got a pre-order price of $27.99 up for The African Queen (Blu-Ray).  That must be the box set.  They say the MSRP is $49.99.  I cannot find another listing for the barebones edition yet.

There is also an amazon pre-order listing for The African Queen (DVD) that's $18.99 predicated on an MSRP of $25.99.  So I don't know which version that one would likely be. 

They don't have the cover art up yet either.  I'm sure this will sort itself out soon.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#9 of 28 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2010 - 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon [img]">

Well.....

Amazon's got a pre-order price of $27.99 up for The African Queen (DVD) that's $18.99 predicated on an MSRP of $25.99.  So I don't know which version that one would likely be. 

They don't have the cover art up yet either.  I'm sure this will sort itself out soon.

Mike,

I noticed that yesterday, but the MSRP is listed as 39.99.  Hopefully, in the coming weeks, Amazon will update their site in regard to both BRD releases.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford [url=/forum/thread/296911/phe-press-release-the-african-queen-dvd-updated-cover-art#post_3649415]

#11 of 28 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2010 - 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">

Correct.  Must've suffered from a case of "too-early-in-the-morning-math." 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 01:49 AM

Don't you figure that Amazon price is closer to the box set price than the single disc price? 

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted January 14 2010 - 02:54 AM

I hope that $27.99 price is for the box set.  As much as I want TAQ on Blu, if that's for a single disc version, then I will wait for a better price.  But for now, it's pre-ordered and like Mike said, it'll probably get all sorted out soon.  And who knows, a lot can happen, price-wise between now and the release date.

"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 03:22 AM

Excellent!  I've been waiting for this for a long time.

That said, does anybody find this statement, a bit underwhelming?
Quote:
Including Nearly an Hour of All-New Bonus Material
OOOOOH!!!  Nearly an hour!!!!   This better be one hell of a good documentary.  I own films that aren't nearly as important as this one that have more than an Hour of All-New Bonus Material.  I can't believe that there's not at least one commentary track.  Cardiff could have supplied one or how about one of the many Bogart, Hepburn or Huston biographers?  I'm a just a bit underwhelmed after this kind of wait.

#15 of 28 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2010 - 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Don't you figure that Amazon price is closer to the box set price than the single disc price? 

Mike,

If the press release is correct about the MSRP for both Blu-ray releases then I expect the boxset to sell for 30.79 at Amazon which is 30% off the 43.99 MSRP.  While the single disc sells for 18.89 on Amazon at 30% off its 26.99 MSRP.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2010 - 05:42 AM

It'll be interesting to see if Frank Ha's strategy of pre-ordering the title under that existing price might work out to his advantage...or even work out at all. 

#17 of 28 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2010 - 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">

It'll be interesting to see if Frank Ha's strategy of pre-ordering the title under that existing price might work out to his advantage...or even work out at all. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted January 15 2010 - 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

I learned my lesson the hard way about preordering in today's video software market.  Sometimes, I don't order a new release until 2-4 weeks or longer after release just to see if any deals come up.

Crawdaddy
Actually, I've pretty much developed something close to that philosophy.  However, if there is something I really would like to have (in this case, The African Queen), I'll go ahead and pre-order and then keep an eye on the price.  Sometimes, the price does drop for just a little while and then goes back up.  If the price drops enough, then the pre-order remains, if not then I remove it.  I usually check one last time on Thursday or Friday before the release date and then I cancel the order if I'm not happy with the price (which, these days is usually the case). 

"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#19 of 28 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 15 2010 - 01:07 PM

Mike,

If the press release is correct about the MSRP for both Blu-ray releases then I expect the boxset to sell for 30.79 at Amazon which is 30% off the 43.99 MSRP.  While the single disc sells for 18.89 on Amazon at 30% off its 26.99 MSRP.

Crawdaddy
As I suspected, the press release pricing is wrong again.  Why can't studios like Paramount have accurate press releases?  Both BRD releases have a much higher MSRP.  For the boxset the MSRP is 57.99 which means Amazon is selling it for 40.49 at about 30% off the MSRP.  While the single disc has a 39.99 MSRP selling at 27.99 at Amazon with their 30% off the MSRP.

I won't be preordering this title.  I've waited this long for it which means I can wait a while longer for a more reasonable price towards the 20.00 pricepoint.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 15 2010 - 04:06 PM

I won't be preordering this title.  I've waited this long for it which means I can wait a while longer for a more reasonable price towards the 20.00 pricepoint.
And I figure it won't take too long at all before it's below that pricepoint (at least the single-disc version).

Do you think there's any chance amazon's the one who's gotten it wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users