Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound Bar or HTIB?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   KingOfPVille

KingOfPVille

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 02:13 PM

I have a 46" Sony WEGA with horrible sound.  I want to improve the sound.  What would you recommend: sound bar or HTIB 5.1 system.  I want to spend around $300 max.  Would like to connect a future BluRay player aswell.  Thanks.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Peanut123

Peanut123

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 11 2010 - 01:07 AM

A HTIB is better, in my opinion. A sound bar simulates true surround with delays and such. For a HTIB, I would recommend Onkyo. I would just upgrade the wire that comes with it to 16awg or better.
Anything is possible. Understanding how to get there is the problem.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,985 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 11 2010 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfPVille 

I want to improve the sound.
This is a pretty vague description of your goals.  You mention adding Blu-Ray in the future - does that mean you'd want to have full-blown 5.1 surround sound at some point down the road?

$300 is also a pretty tight budget, but if you know where you WANT to go with this, then we can make recommendations.

$300 would get you a so-so sound bar system now, but it would be a waste of money if you intend to expand the system later on down the road.

$300 is not enough to get a decent 5.1 system either.  Any "all-in-one" home theater in a box system is going to be very limited in expandability.  The cheapest HTiB system out there that would be a worthwhile investment is the Onkyo 6200 - which is about twice your budget.

Another alternative is to build your system piece by piece.  Again, this is still a bit beyond your budget, but you could get an Onkyo 507 receiver (one of the cheapest options that would fully support Blu-Ray in the future) for about $325.  A pair of SVS SB-01 speakers for the fronts ($150).  Later, you can get a Dayton subwoofer from parts-express.com for about $100 and a matching center speaker (the SCS-01 also from SVS) for $120.  Lastly, add some surround speakers from SVS and you're all set.

That works out to an initial investment of about $500 - but it won't be wasted money.  Every component you get will be a piece of a larger puzzle.  For an extra $250 you'd have a full 5.1 system that will easily outperform any HTiB and still have room for future expansion.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!