Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 07 2010 - 04:02 PM

http://static.hometh...KCo1imBnL.jpg">

The Green Berets

Directed By: John Wayne and Ray Kellogg

Starring: John Wayne, David Janssen, Jim Hutton, Aldo Ray, Raymond St. Jacques, Bruce Cabot, Jack Soo, George Takei, Patrick Wayne, Luke Askew

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 13 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,116 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 08 2010 - 12:24 AM

I watched my BRD last night and found the A/V presentation very good except for the scenes noted in the above review which has always been there in every video format release of this film.  As far as the quality of the film itself, I enjoy it as a "war" film with some good action sequences, but I tend to ignore the other aspects of the film that are certainly controversial and have been debated endlessly for too many years.  It is, what it is with just about all the principal members of the cast and crew dead except George Takei.

It's certainly not one of the Duke's best, but I do enjoy viewing the film every 3-4 years.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 13 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 04:37 AM

I also made note of the G rating.  Every time I have seen the film, that is what has stood out the most. 

Times sure have changed.

#4 of 13 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:09 AM

True Grit, released the following year, was also rated "G" and has a pretty bloody sequence involving Dennis Hopper.  Nothing as gruesome as the stuff in this movie, but still a long way from what would be considered for a "G" these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin View Post

I also made note of the G rating.  Every time I have seen the film, that is what has stood out the most. 

Times sure have changed.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 13 John Morgan

John Morgan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 08 2010 - 07:28 AM

I think it looks great too. Although I am glad they included the original mono soundtrack, I really wish Warners would have remixed this title for 5.1 sound. I know all the original music survives on 3track stereo, and I would think a film of this vintage they would have M&E tracks or separate dialog and sound effects stens. I kind of miss stereo sound on a big film like this. They did great work with NORTH BY NORTHWEST and THE TIME MACHINE. But I am sure that would be a heavy added cost in production.

#6 of 13 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Advanced Member

• 2,915 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 09 2010 - 11:17 AM

I saw this in 1968 when I was in the Navy, stationed in the Philippines. My strongest memory is a scene involving a Vietcong booby trap, a scene which made me grateful that I wasn't in the Army!

I haven't seen it since, but now I feel like watching it again.

It's worth noting that Robin Moore's book came out in 1965, a time when the Vietnam War was still relatively uncontroversial. There had been a few anti-war demonstrations up to that point, but polls showed that most Americans supported the war. The landscape had changed significantly by the time that Wayne made the film, hence his heavy-handed pro-war propaganda.

Rich Gallagher

#7 of 13 Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think that Warners did a good job on this release.  The presentation was good.  Now, I can watch the movie without having to flip the
disc over to view the rest of the movie.  I hope that they revisit "The Man Who Would Be King" (another flipper) and release it on blu-ray or re-address it on SDDVD.

#8 of 13 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 09:07 AM

A dual layered 16:9 enhanced version of "The Green Berets" was released on SD DVD, too.  It appears that way in the TCM Greatest Classic Films: War - Battlefront Asia set released in the second half May of last year [just verified the release date - time flies when you are reviewing DVDS /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif">].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hickey 
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#9 of 13 Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Ken, didn't know that Warners had finally issued a non-flipper of "The Green Berets".  I'm happy that I have it on blu-ray to add to my small collection of hi-def discs. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

A dual layered 16:9 enhanced version of "The Green Berets" was released on SD DVD, too.  It appears that way in the TCM Greatest Classic Films: War - Battlefront Asia set released in the second half of last year.

#10 of 13 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 10:17 PM

I guess technically, the one I mentioned is still a flipper, except in this case, it's a DVD-18 and the flip side of the disc is the Cary Grant movie "Destination Tokyo" rather than the second half of the movie. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif">

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hickey 
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 13 FrancisP

FrancisP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 05:41 PM

I think that some of the people that were criticizing it at the time were playing some politics. There is a scene when they are being waken up and I think that Jim Hutton is about to say "Chicken-shit outfit" but all we hear is chicken which makes no sense. Are we being censored? 

#12 of 13 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts

Posted January 19 2010 - 08:54 PM

To be fair, there is no question that the filmmakers themselves were playing politics.  The cut away from the "chicken" line was intentional and has always been there.  John Wayne was not a big fan of profanity in his movies, and I think he correctly figured that audiences would be able to finish the sentence in their heads..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisP View Post

I think that some of the people that were criticizing it at the time were playing some politics. There is a scene when they are being waken up and I think that Jim Hutton is about to say "Chicken-shit outfit" but all we hear is chicken which makes no sense. Are we being censored? 

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 13 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 20 2010 - 06:42 AM

The Man Who Would Be King definitely needs a non-piece-of-shit release.  Not only was that poor classic a flipper, it looked like ass!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users