Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Could this be the Apple tablet killer app?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 07 2010 - 03:10 PM

OK, so not really an application, it is more of a technology, Intel Wireless HD:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3715

I thought it interesting that the Anandtech writer called it "Apple-like" at the end of the story. I would imagine Apple would require you purchase the receiver separately if you wanted to use the feature but they won't be very expensive (about $100).

So, what do you think? Is it crazy to think Apple would have this wireless HD technology included in their tablet? Assuming the tablet exists.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,789 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 08 2010 - 04:22 AM

Wireless video has been real-soon-now for 10 years? Longer?

Going HDMI reduces my connectivity cable clutter from about 15 plugs to four. With a wireless standard, I'd be down to just power cables and speaker wire.

As for computers: wireless video from computer to TV is the last thing that interests me, compared to an overarching wireless audio-video eletronics standard.