Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The latest on Conan, Leno and NBC

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
572 replies to this topic

#41 of 573 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:01 AM

I do watch Carson Daly when he interviews some hot actress or model that is criminally overlooked by the other chat shows.

You know, I could screw up NBC 90% as much for only 60% of the salary -- give me a one-year contract. For the bean-counters that own the network, I'd be a bargain.

#42 of 573 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,035 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:03 AM

A lump of shit on a Comcast prospectus could do a better job at this point.

#43 of 573 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:17 AM

I'm all for Supertrain.

I'd also like the old Leno Tonight Show back, from when it was entertaining.

#44 of 573 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

Isn't that from an alternate reality?

#45 of 573 James_Koch

James_Koch

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell 

Letterman must be very amused by all of this.

(Supertrain! It's the Love Boat, only on a big-ass train! Genius!)

I bet he is. He'll probably send a card to Conan saying "Welcome to the club."

Ferguson responded on his show last night. The show started with just a shot of his desk, with him nowhere to be seen. From off camera he said, "I'm sorry I can't be here tonight. I'm now appearing at 11:30 on NBC."

Then he talked about the situation a bit and ended it with "We'll be remembered as the ones who sucked the most. But what did we do? We sucked at the same damn time every night."

My Dvds
James Koch A.K.A. Bob_Bobbson

#46 of 573 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 07:40 AM

BTW, through all of this... Jeff Zucker STILL has a job.

INCONCEIVABLE!

#47 of 573 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 08:20 AM

Zucker must have compromising pictures of someone to keep that position for as long as he has with such pathetic results.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#48 of 573 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,767 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 08 2010 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSchulz 

Now THERE'S an 80's/Fred Silverman reference you don't see much anymore!
I'm here all week.  Try the veal.  And don't forget to tip the waitresses. 

/img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Re-run complete Carson shows and we'd all be better off.  I don't care if the jokes are about the Nixon or Carter administrations.

Mark my words, Ferguson will be the one to come out of this whole group as the best talent of them all. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#49 of 573 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 01:14 PM

This debacle will likely cost Jeff Zucker his job at NBC Universal.

And this on top of the persistent rumors that NBC may end up losing a huge amount of money over the upcoming Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

Meanwhile, CBS' decision to keep as many of their scripted dramas as possible on the 10 pm ET/9 pm CT slot looks really good right now, what with strong ratings lead-in for the late local news broadcasts on CBS affiliates and really strong ratings for The Late Show with David Letterman.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#50 of 573 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 08 2010 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

I'm all for Supertrain.

Unfortunately, Johnny is dead :(

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#51 of 573 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Chuang 

I'll believe it when I see it. He's driven the network into last place where it has stayed for a while now and he's still there.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#52 of 573 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,035 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 08 2010 - 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Chuang 

If we're using history to judge, Comcast will probably make him its CEO.

#53 of 573 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,767 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 08 2010 - 04:58 PM

I wonder what 30 Rock will do with this...

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#54 of 573 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 05:04 PM

Am I the only one here who absolutely loves Fallon's show? The Roots are amazing, he is very much at home at 30 Rock, perfect show.

Honestly I could care less about Jay or Conan.   Conan became bad when switched coasts, and Leno at 10 is awful -- the musical guests are mostly gone, the 10 at 10 thing is pathetic compared to guest at the show -- I never watched any of his comedy shtick anyway.  

If I was NBC I'd cancel Leno, and tell Conan that if says to a guest "there is so much to talk about" one more time, NBC security have been instructed to shoot him.  Cancelling Carson Daily would be a shame -- he gave up and coming musicians their best platform.

And if the Tonight Show gets pushed to 12:05, it means the first guest won't go on until 12:30 at the earliest.  All the A listers will go straight to Letterman where they will be on the air half an hour earlier.

Full disclosure -- I was a HUGE Johnny Carson fan -- stayed up every chance I had to watch the full 90 minutes of his show.  He didn't treat his guests as an afterthought to dumb comedy skits and his monologs were brilliant.  There is no one that come close these days, but Letterman and Fallon are the two guys who at least don't embarrass his tradition. 

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#55 of 573 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 08 2010 - 07:56 PM

Jay's opener last night:

Quote:
HERE'S SOME FRIGHTENING NEWS. KEV, THIS WILL INTEREST YOU. THE WORLDWIDE FUND FOR NATURE CAME OUT WITH ITS LIST OF 10 SPECIES MOST LIKELY TO BE EXTINCT IN THE NEAR FUTURE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT NUMBER ONE WAS? US.

I GUESS YOU HEARD THESE RUMORS THAT NBC IS TALKING ABOUT CANCELING OUR SHOW. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? I DIDN'T SLEEP WITH ANY OF MY STAFF FOR NOTHING!

ACTUALLY, IF THEY DID CANCEL US IT WOULD BE AN EASY MOVE FOR ME BECAUSE I STILL HAVEN'T UNPACKED FROM THE LAST SHOW THEY CANCELED ME FROM. EVERYTHING IS STILL BACK THERE...SO IT'S NO PROBLEM.

TO BE FAIR, NBC IS WORKING ON A SOLUTION, THEY SAY, IN WHICH ALL PARTIES WILL BE SCREWED EQUALLY. THAT CERTAIN NBC TOUCH.

IT'S IN EVERY...IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE. EVERYBODY IS COMMENTING ON IT. I EVEN SAW IT ON THE NEWS. TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. (DROP-IN: OBAMA RESPONDS TO JAY STORY)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_14151210?nclick_check=1

Wow (sorry about the all caps, it's how the article/release is printed)

All I can think of is smarmy Jay in "The Night Shift"

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#56 of 573 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 08 2010 - 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M 

I can't even begin to put into words how much this pisses me off. If NBC sandbags Conan by giving Leno 11:30 back I won't ever watch their network again. Leno should have just gone away like he promised he would when his contract was up and if he still wanted to do a show he should have taken his "talent" to ABC or FOX. While I enjoyed Conan more when he was at 12:30 because he was allowed to be edgier and not forced to appeal so much to the mainstream, the fact is that NBC made their choice giving him The Tonight Show. If I was Conan and they tried to take that away I'd sue their asses back to the stone age.
My sentiments exactly.

EDIT: If Conan does shift networks, It'll be interesting to see him get yet another new studio. It will also be tough to top the new one at Universal Studios (which was built for a pretty penny), which is really swank. I'm hoping he goes to ABC, because there's a network that is run well, and one that won't panic when the 60-year-old comics with older audiences are beating the mid-40s comic with the geerally young audience in the first 7 months. Come talk to me in 2020-25 when Leno and Letterman are retired or dead and let's see who's dominating the late night scene over the long haul here.....

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#57 of 573 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one here who absolutely loves Fallon's show? The Roots are amazing, he is very much at home at 30 Rock, perfect show.

I thought I might be the only one.  I like Fallon, the Roots, Higgins and even some of the skits (Wheel of Carpet Samples, anyone?)

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#58 of 573 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 
Come talk to me in 2020-25 when Leno and Letterman are retired or dead and...

... so is Network TV.

#59 of 573 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M 

I'll believe it when I see it. He's driven the network into last place where it has stayed for a while now and he's still there.
But with the bad economy currently, the head honchos at GE may not be so forgiving this time around. With the Leno-O'Brien fiasco and the potential looming fiasco over the finances of the Winter Olympics coverage, this may give the excuse for GE management (and possibly Comcast management!) to push Zucker out the door.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#60 of 573 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 02:27 AM

It's not about being forgiving.  There are no excuses at that level with the amount of failure Zucker has shepherded.

Zucker has some sort of spell over GE that has absolved him of blame, failure after failure.  For some reason, still they think he's the best person for the job and somehow don't consider him to be responsible for the total downfall.

Perhaps a fresh set of eyes at Comcast will finally usher out the end of the Jeff Zucker era.  But make no mistake -- if Zucker is finally fired, it will be because of Comcast, not GE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users