Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Netflix and WBHE agree to 28 day rental window

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 03:56 AM

http://www.homemedia...rner-dvds-18013

Quote:
Under the agreement, which replaces a previous revenue-sharing deal that expired last February, Warner Home Video will continue to directly supply Netflix with new titles, which will be made available to its subscribers 28 days after street date. The month-long window was chosen after sales data suggested 75% of sellthrough occurs in the first four weeks of release.
My friend is a bit pissed about this, and his wife is livid.  Anyone else using Netflix affected by this decision?

The irony is that the original "rental window" was the time the studios gave the rental chains exclusive access to movies before they went on sale to the general public.  Now the situation is reversed.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveMcS

DaveMcS

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 04:38 AM

There are so many titles in my queue that unless it's a must see that gets pushed to the #1 slot....the "new releases" don't get to the top for months! 

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 06:38 AM

I saw this earlier today, and at first I was pretty ticked too.  However, if it really gets me access to more streaming content I'll consider it a fair trade.  (The article I read said that the deal with WHV is that they don't get the disks, but they'll be allowed to offer more streaming content.)  If I lose early access and don't get streaming content, then I would look to a Netfix competator.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 06:55 AM

Does this have something to do with the "Available until 01/01/10" that I was getting late in the year on my Netflix queue?  That seems to have disappeared now that the year has rolled over.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 07 2010 - 06:58 AM

Initially I thought it kind of sucked but as I read more about it and looked at my que I realized that it won't affect me negatively in any way.

First, Netflix is getting reduced prices on discs as part of the deal. This may result in better availability of some BD titles. Also, we should see more streaming content become available which is a big plus for me.

If it means more streaming content, I would be happy to see similar deals with other studios.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

I could not figure out which forum to post this news in, so I'll put it here.  Mods, if you think there is a more appropriate forum, go ahead and move it.

Since there's already a thread in the Hi-Def Software area focusing on the Blu-ray issues, I'm moving this one from After Hours to SD DVD.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 07:24 AM

I wonder if Blockbuster is going to take this development and turn it into a new marketing campaign or if they too will sign an similar deal.  Like the Fox/TWC carraige fee issue, I wonder if this will compel the other studios to start making agreements like this one.  At this point, any studio ad campaign for new releases is a de facto ad campaign for Blockbuster.  If they can give Blockbuster some sort of inducement (and streaming content isn't important to BB like it is to Netflix), the idea of an across the board rental window will be sooner than later. 

My question is, if there is an across the board rental window, won't that increase piracy?  Not the camcorder crap that hurts the eyes, but digitally sourced copies with surround sound and HD resolutions?

The other interesting part of the article is this:

Quote:
Bob Chapek, president of distribution at The Walt Disney Studios, recently told the Los Angeles Times that studios typically generate 80% of a movie’s box office revenue in the first three weeks, and waiting four months to release the title on DVD only favored piracy.
Sounds very short-sighted and misguided to me.  It takes heaven and earth to get me into the movies -- if they shorten the release window, there's even less enticement for me to go to the theater. 

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Does this have something to do with the "Available until 01/01/10" that I was getting late in the year on my Netflix queue?  That seems to have disappeared now that the year has rolled over.
Did it say available until or on?  If it said "on" it may have been referring to a title in your queue that was going to be available for streaming on that date.  (It would appear in a column between the title and just to the left of the "star rating" for the movie; the top of the column is labeled "instant".)