Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vizio Press Release: Vizio launches arsenal of LED backlit LCD HDTVs in 2010

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,184 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 12:30 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,096 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 01:56 PM

I'm getting a VF552XVT delivered on Tuesday- I got a slight price break and free shipping to be a 'test subject' which I applied for online last month. I get to do some surveys from the company mostly about its internet stuff, and give them general feedback on its performance (which I hope they'll be able to actually act on.)  They'll probably get more feedback from me on how well it handles old analog video than anyone else they've picked for this :)

This will be replacing my 40-inch Mitsubishi CRT, which I've had since 1996.  I've been wanting to upgrade the TV for a long time but was waiting for just the right thing to come out- I wasn't too impressed with the early widescreen TVs that were out- this one will even have a LARGER 4x3 picture than my old set!  I still wanted to wait for the 3D displays but I just couldn't turn this down when they called (maybe they'll give me a deal on a 3D set later?)  I've been going back to school and will be starting a new class in a couple weeks so I won't have a lot of time to do fun stuff, but I'll try to share what I can here- most of my homework will be online so I'm planning on hooking the laptop up to the TV to do homework on the big screen!

Funny thing is that shortly after I bought the Mitsubishi, I got the Sega Saturn game system with Netlink internet browser, and that was my primary internet device then and where I first discovered Home Theater Forum.  It was a great idea but support for the device was pretty weak- as new technologies came out the Saturn couldn't handle them, and there were only 2 software upgrades put out.  It could never display even basic internet video, much less the higher quality stuff that's out now.  I eventually got a real computer after support for the Saturn was dropped entirely.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted January 09 2010 - 12:28 AM

That 72"er will be mine...

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,096 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 01:56 PM

On the forum right now with my laptop hooked up to the 55-incher- finally got almost everything hooked up, and it's truly a thing of beauty, especially considering what I was upgrading from.  It's great to have the internet on a BIG screen!

The built-in internet apps are pretty cool- the neatest is Vudu, which normally requires a separate box.  It streams high-quality movies- I haven't watched any full ones yet but there are several free trailers you can watch.  My connection doesn't seem to be fast enough for their highest-quality option though, if I use that it keeps stopping to buffer then asks "Are you sure you wouldn't rather switch to a lower-quality mode?"  It says the HD trailers are in 5.1 sound too, but I'm only getting 2-channel from it.

My biggest problem with LCDs was the black level, but they're just about perfect on this thing.  There is a side-effect of the local dimming though- if you're displaying black for a while, then suddenly cut to a full-brightness shot, you can see a strange effect for a second where the picture comes up looking dark because the LEDs haven't kicked in yet.  Don't think that will annoy me too much, but it's something that should be worked on in later models.  There's a lighted "VIZIO" logo right below the screen that is orange when the power is off and a distracting white when on- I put a piece of black tape over it.

Disappointingly this TV does not have the Freeze functions that other Vizios had- I was hoping to use that with a laserdisc player that doesn't have its own digital freeze-frame, but guess I'm out of luck there.  It also does not accept a PAL signal like the previous sets did, but I have a Denon AVR-790 receiver hooked up which does take PAL and displays it at the proper frame rate, unlike the many DVD players that convert to NTSC.  An improvement that has been added is the TV tuner now detects and switches between 16x9 mode on the HD stations and 4x3 on the standard-def digital and remaining low-power analog stations- the older sets just displayed everything stretched or squeezed and you had to manually switch to the right setting for each channel.  TV is an unwatchable mess anyways and I likely won't watch a lot, but it's nice that this set at least displays it properly.  It does not however sense the aspect ratio flags on DVDs- I have an all-region DVD player which does not upconvert or squeeze 4x3 material, and would have to manually adjust that if hooked directly to the TV.  The receiver saves the day once again though by including that feature- only pain is that I also have to have a standard video connection going to the TV in order to access closed-captions.  I like to check those out just to see how they're done, and new equipment makes them very hard to get to since HDMI doesn't carry the captioning signal.  DVD players need to start including a closed-caption decoder that displays them right on the video signal when output through HDMI- the DVD player software in my computers can do that so it can't be too hard to do.

Haven't gotten any surveys or feedback materials from the company yet, I'm hoping I'll get to share all my thoughts about this TV with them.  In the meantime, anybody in the Sacramento area want to buy my old 40" Mitsubishi CRT real cheap? :)  I'd like to keep it, but I just don't have any place to put it right now so it will have to go.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted February 14 2010 - 07:37 PM

I am now VERY seriously looking at getting a new 40-42" LCD panel to replace my old 27" Mitsubishi CRT TV. I wonder will the VIZIO M420NV or M420VT meet my needs.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   KenDo

KenDo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 06:56 AM

Well folks, it's finally August. Anyone know the status of these new Vizio LEDs? (especially the 72"!) Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users