-

Photo
- - - - -

magnavox Model #55P8288A - picture getting worse...started with three littl hashes (blue, green, yello)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 hellgate1981

hellgate1981

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hello All

My 54in vox may have seen too many hours......i love movies! I first noticed three three small hashes.....2-3 inches long....blue, green and yellow. Later I noticed there seemed to be too much blue ....really shows in dark scenes. Overall......getting a bit of a ghost on the images....but no blurred or double images......just color issues and a haziness.

I think I can fix this........but not sure what I should be fixing? I have read that the coolant may need to be changed........cleaning the mirrors may help......thought I heard a buzzing sound tonight and I read that may be the bulb....over all, the picture seems darker than it used to be.

This old beast is a joy to watch........except that it pops fairly often.........picture just blcaks out and snaps back on.......I suspect the analog circuitry cannot handle digital (dish).

Maybe time to let it die......but if I could do some cost effective repairs.... iwill gladly keep it. Any thoughts on the repair?

Regards-

#2 of 2 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,884 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 07 2010 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellgate1981 

I have read that the coolant may need to be changed........cleaning the mirrors may help......

While you're at it, straighten out the Johnson rods, recharge the flux capacitors and realign the tachyon ray emitters.  Oh, and re-magnetize the pixels, that should correct the color anomalies. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Sounds like you're better off getting a new TV.  CRT-based sets like those do fade over time.  Opening one up isn't recommended due to the potentially high voltages, etc.  Unlike newer sets, there isn't one single bulb, there are three different CRTs (one red, one green, one blue).  They are expensive to replace and that can only be done by a trained technician.

The ghosting may be fixable by yourself if it's simply a convergence issue.  Check your manual and TV settings to see if there's a way to re-converge the picture.  It won't solve all your problems, but it may help a bit.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!