What's new

Sony str-dn1000 connection to PC (1 Viewer)

alsheppard

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi,

I've just had a Sony str-dn1000 for Christmas, it's my first ever AV Receiver and I must say; what was I ever doing with out one!!!

I have my TV (HDMI) Xbox(HDMI) and PS3 (HDMI) all connected with in minutes and the sound quality is amazing!

But I don't know what to do with My PC.

The PC is a small Philips LRPC7500 Multimedia PC that sits next to the TV and I watched movies on it all of the time.

The PC has a DVi port, I have a DVi/HDMI converter that copes fine with the visual signal, but not sure how to get audio.

Is this the best setup to go for, or does anyone have a better option?

Any help will be brilliant. (Pictures of both are below)

Thanks!

Adam

alsheppard

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Does anyone know what i'm taking about?

I want audio and visual coming from my DVI port on my PC in to my AVReciver?

Kind Regards,

Adam

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The DVI-port on your PC doesn't carry audio signals. You must use a line-out on your audio-card (stereo) and connect it to a stereo-in ("audio in") on your receiver.

Cees

alsheppard

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thank you for the info,

How do you recommend I connect connect the PC to the AV Receiver to get my Video signal? At the moment I am using a DVI - HDMI Cable. Is This Correct?

Adam.

Originally Posted by Cees Alons

The DVI-port on your PC doesn't carry audio signals. You must use a line-out on your audio-card (stereo) and connect it to a stereo-in ("audio in") on your receiver.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam,

Yes, in principle the DVI can go to the HDMI, using a DVI -> HDMI cable, because basically they're the same (just arranged differently).
However... there may be a problem if the HDMI input circuitry expects a genuine "handshake". The PC will not provide that, so the logical connection will not be established.

If you send a signal the other way (e.g. a genuine HDMI source sending the video to a DVI monitor), then the monitor also needs to be HDCP-compliant (tell the source it won't copy the signal illegally). But your PC will be less demanding, so give it a try.

Cees

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Adam,

To rephrase previous posts, a DVI to HDMI adaptor should work for the video, but since DVI doesn't support audio, you'll need to use other connections for that. Having the video and audio arrive at the receiver over different connections works fine.

Stereo analog (red & white) RCA connections will work, although you may need to get a stereo-pin-jack-to-RCA adaptor for the computer. They're readily available at stores like Radio Shack and Best Buy.

Some audio cards have digital audio outputs which could be used, too.

Another option is to upgrade the video card in your computer to one which has an HDMI output. Some cards include digital audio on the HDMI output.

HDMI also supports HDCP encryption to prevent unauthorized recording of high def signals. DVI doesn't. That might limit which DVDs and BDs will be allowed to send hidef video from your computer to the receiver and display. If you've already been using HDMI, though, you would already have encountered this problem.

alsheppard

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thank you, I've just ordered the RSA cable.

Sorry if this is a really easy question but based on the image above of the back of the AV Receiver, where do I plug the RSA cable into.

Regards,

Adam

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Adam,

The RCA (not RSA) cable is intended to carry audio from a player or computer to the receiver. It should be a pair of cables with red and white connectors, perhaps in a single outer sheath. If it is a single cable with only one connector at each end, then you got the wrong style (although it'll be useful at some future time for digital audio).

(RCA are the initials of the company [Radio Corporation of America] originally responsible for inflicting this cheap style of connector on us all. RSA are the initials of a company responsible for inflicting certain types of data encryption on computer users.)

You can use any pair of red/white "in" connections that are not associated with a device already in use. You just have to remember which ones they are so you can select them when you want to listen to the computer's audio output. It might be reasonable to use the left-most "in" connections, which are labeled SA-CD/CD/CD-A. At some future time you might want to connect the corresponding very-leftmost "out" connections to your computer so your computer can record some other analog audio going through the receiver.

alsheppard

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for putting me straight. I have just canceled the order!!!!

I have a RCA cable at home. thanks for your help, I'll try it when I get in.

I have a few great film back logged to watch.

Regards

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks