What's new

grainy picture when watching blu ray (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I noticed that when I watch blu-ray, when the screen is black and loading, it has a grainy, small white flecks, pixels...I don't know what to call it. Whenever I watch a standard dvd through the blu-ray player, I also notice this flecking throughout the movie, mainly noticeable on the black areas of the screen. Is this from up-converting and/or normal?

Blu-ray movies are amazing, but it shows the same flecking, grainy white things during the black screen before the movie starts.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
The flecking you describe sounds like you have a sub-standard HDMI cable, but check all of the HDMI cable connections to make sure they're tight and the connectors aren't under strain. Some receivers have sub-standard HDMI drivers and have problems driving long cables, too.

When the digital video signal is degraded by going through a poor cable or bad connections, some of the bits cannot be decoded by the receiving device and are ignored. The missing bits show up as random speckels in the image.

There are two categories of HDMI cables: Category 1 is certified to work with 720p and 1080i video. Category 2 is certified to work with 1080p video. 1080p video needs twice as much bandwidth as 720p and 1080i.

This is more of a problem with long cable runs than with short ones. As a result, long cables are disproportionatly more expensive than short ones. However, don't waste your money on Monster brand cables. They are way overpriced.

More details about this issue are in the Wikipedia article about HDMI. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I use all Blue Jeans cables. And for the monitor out on the 2808 I use a 20 ft run of what the recommend for runs under 25 feet. How sensitive are hdmi runs to interference? I have it run in the same tube as the speaker cables and power cable for the tv. Like I said though, it is only when watching SD DVD's and the start-up screen on BD's. BD's during the movie look amazing, so...

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Sensitivity to noise varies. Different devices have different thresholds.

Running signal cables parallel to power lines is generally a bad idea. The high voltages and currents in power lines induce currents in the signal lines which are heard as hum in analog audio and vary the voltage levels of digital signals. That could be part of the problem.

Separately, I strongly recommend that you remove the power from the conduit for safety reasons. Undetected damage to the cables sometimes results in 110vac connecting directly to the signal wires, resulting in lethal exposure for people and/or electrical fires and/or damage to equipment. This is why running power in the same conduit with low voltage lines is a violation of electrical code.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Crap. I don't know why I missed that. The reason I did it is because I wanted the tv to run through the power conditioner that powers all the components which is on it's own breaker in the closet. I suppose I could just have the tv plug into the wall without a conditioner, no big deal right?

As of now I have one conduit through the rafters in the basement. It contains 7 speaker wires, 1 hdmi cable, 1 satellite coax, and 1 power cable for the tv.
A violation of code is not acceptable and I feel dumb for doing so. I'll plug the tv power cable into the wall behind it and leave everything else.
I suspect this will not solve the problem, but we'll see, either way being up to code will make me feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks