Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

AVR-240 setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   ft69

ft69

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 04 2010 - 02:31 PM

OK, so my eye sight isn't that good at 59 w/ tri-foculs and reading the instruction always came last, but his AVR 240 set up has me stuck. I was able to strike a happy medium for stereo music listing w/ dolby 5 speaker wide. Movies is a different animal. Setting for best overall balance is same as music, but I can't hear the back l/r surrounds. Only in Surround setup/stero 7 channel will the the back surrounds work, but the dialogue and music are heavy in the left channel front mains. I can;t find a setting that gets good separation across front/right and center,,,and back surrounds. Didn't have this problem with a 10 yr. old Sony using same speakers and room configuration. What's the magic mode for movies? Thanks, frank

#2 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 05 2010 - 03:35 PM

First off what are you using for movies (Blu ray, dvd) and how is the sound being fed to the system (HDMI, Optical, Audio inputs)?  I was having a problem between the PS3 and my new Denon but I found it was an issue in the settings on the PS3.  

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank A

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 02:38 PM

frank, how long have you had this? I'm supposing it is fairly new? Do you have/have you read the manual? Have you configured it for 5.1? Have you done the ezset speaker setup? We are the same age and I also wear glasses (bi-focal, though). I have another model hk and have had to read through the manual several times now so that I am finally getting familiar with its use.

Do you use the OSD display on the tv? This might help with the viewing/setting up the system? To use it, press the button that says "OSD" on the remote.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for how familiar you are with this avr.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 06 2010 - 05:00 PM

Is this a Harman Kardon receiver? If so, I can help, I have the AVR 247.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   ft69

ft69

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well I did sit back and read, and re-read several times. Initially I made all the connections similar to my last set up with  a Sony.Wrong! I used several S video connectors for TV and DVD output, standard RCA jacks for audio. While reading and moving my lips at the same time, I discovered that, yes I could use coax. I always thought of co-axial as the thin copper line for cable tv, but alas no. Also HK says not use co-ax and component, so I disconnected the l/r component plugs. I ran the co-ax for audio and S video from the JVC DVD player and connected the S video from the TV into the Monitor jack and wham, everything kicked into place. HK sure demands a lot of attention and they like to do things their way. I'm happy to report all systems are a go, except I can't get the TV audio to play through old blue. The manual says to hook up the S video to the video 3 where the audio is, but I don't get a picture that way for either DVD movies or just TV. Plugging into the monitor slot works, so I will settle for excellent audio and movie modes and skip enhanced TV programs. Thanks for all of your replies