Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Handful of Cables Needed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Xander H

Xander H

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted January 04 2010 - 05:40 AM

I'm getting a new receiver and a new TV for the bedroom and I'm going to be trying to make a sort of "network" when all is said and done, but to do that I'm going to need to run a couple of pretty long wires and I thought I would check here first and ask real quick if there was anything to watch for when I was shopping for these cables. I'll be needing an 18ft HDMI to connect my computer to my receiver, which will be run just along the baseboard in plain sight, and I will also be needing a 35ft HDMI to connect my bedroom TV to my receiver which I'll be running behind the wall and above my drop ceiling.  I'll also be running a 50ft composite cable through the wall from my receiver to my old TV in the music room in the basement (so I can see Rock Band while I'm sitting at my actual drum kit, for the hell of it).  Just want to make sure that there isn't anything specific that I'll need to get for cables so long to make sure that I don't lose any quality or that I don't need any sort of specific cable insulation for running them through the walls/ceilings. Also, if you happened to see any cheap prices for some of these super long cables that would be awesome!  Thanks!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 04 2010 - 06:12 AM

I'll say what everyone else says about HDMI cables generally: monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cables. Hands down, the cheapest places to get HDMI (and most other cables, for that matter).
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 11:38 AM

For super long cables, and shorter ones too, check out Firefold.com in addition to the sites already mentioned.  All my HDMI cables have come from Firefold with great results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users