Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Graphics experts - advice needed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted January 04 2010 - 02:00 AM

I've been working in Photoshop for a lot of years now. PowerPoint, too. Have a wee bit of InDesign experience. Visio is on my work laptop, but I have zero experience in it.
While I've done a TON of images/graphics, they've been more "creative" (logos, headers, cover images, etc.). I'm now being asked to create business graphics, such as these:

http://i254.photobuc...lgraphic1.jpg">

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,861 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 12:00 PM

Michael, There are financial presentation programs that create these graphics, based on the financial values to be presented. I don't have personal experience with those, but I've seen a lot of the results. Google "create piecharts graphics trends". I just did and found a lot of promising results, I think. Hope this helps. Cees

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,305 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 08 2010 - 04:27 AM

Trying to do fancy graphics in Powerpoint is like doing beautiful artwork with finger paints.

The second two org charts can likely be done in Vizio. It's raison d'etre is hierachical org charts. It might need subsequent cleanup in Photoshop or Illustrator.

The first chart looks like it's based on actual data. You would need to start with something like Excel or other appropriate math / finance graphing tool. You can then clean it up in your art program of choice.

Of course, you can do anything with the Adobe tools. My wife does business graphic design with Photoshop and Illustrator. (EDIT : I left out some words originally)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'm a graphic artist and use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and even Quark daily.
After looking at the graphics you're trying to (re)create, definitely use Illustrator for these.

The question is are you trying to re-create just these, or are you having to create many graphics like these in the future with unique data, etc?

Once you've created the images, in illustrator you have the flexibility of vector art. You can scale them up/down in size and not lose any quality, and you can always export to JPG, etc. for the web etc.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM 

The question is are you trying to re-create just these, or are you having to create many graphics like these in the future with unique data, etc?
The latter. The circle graphic is a generic graphic, for use over and over again. The other two are customized graphics, made for specific instances.

After posting here and a number of other places, Illustrator came up for being the tool of choice. However, getting my company to purchase it and pay for training isn't going to happen, but I've gotten them to agree to Photoshop and Visio training over the course of this year. I also found a site online that sells pre-made, editable graphics in PowerPoint format. It's not ideal, but this way anyone in the company can use and tweak them.

"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users