Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Marine 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,029 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:09 PM

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Holer

Holer

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted January 02 2010 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for the review. The reasoning behind this one is a little strange. If John Cena is not available for a sequel, why bother making a sequel to a film that was only moderately successful to begin with? Surely it wouldn't have taken much to make a few re-writes and come up with a wholly different story. Even John Cena had the brains not to be in the sequel and moved on to something different.

The WWF has a real opportunity here to become the kings of direct-to-DVD actioners. They've got the 'stars', all it takes is a little imagination. 'The Condemned', the WWF version of 'Battle Royale', was pretty good and I'm part of the small minority that thought the first 'Marine' movie was a hoot, largely because of the scene chewing performance by Robert Patrick as the baddie. Both movies had solid action scenes and great villains and the WWF was even smart enough not to give their heroes too much acting to do and focused on what they do best, which is lots of physical mayhem.

I will always enjoy this kind of stoopid entertainment and I know I'm not alone. I do hope the WWF keeps that modicum of imagination going as they continue to crank out these flicks.