What's new

Problem with "Sony STR-DH500 Stereo" video output (1 Viewer)

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ok, I'll start out with my setup

Time Warner Cable Box going into my Tivo which goes into my DVD player.
DVD player goes into the stereo using "Composite Video In"
Xbox 360 goes into the stereo using "Component Sat In"

Up this this point it's good

Now, I used "Composite Video Out" to connect the Stereo with my TV (an old CurtisMathes 27 inch tube TV)

And I can not get any video or audio coming out of my TV. I can hear my Xbox and the Tivo just fine from the speakers but nothing is coming out of the TV. I've tried using "Monitor Video Out" but even that did nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Michael-
Welcome to Home Theater Forum. Most receivers will convert composite video (yellow connector) to component (red, blue, green connectors) allowing you to use just one cable going to your TV. They will not work the other way (component to composite) so that is why you aren't seeing a picture from your XBOX. If you hook your XBOX up using the non-HD composite connection you should get a picture. As to the cablebox/Tivo/DVD hookup I'm a bit confused. Is your Tivo hooked up to your cable box so it can record shows using the cable box as a tuner? If so that is OK assuming its hooked up correctly, but I am a bit confused about how (and why) that is hooked up to the DVD player. Is is a combo DVD/VCR? what happens if you hook the Tivo up directly the the receiver and not going through the DVD player?

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ok, it is hooked through the DVD player/burner to allow burning shows I've tivo'd to a DVD.

Shouldn't I at least get sound from my TV from the XBOX?

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
This may help. It appears that the main problem is from the video out. I hooked up the Xbox the the video in and again, got sound from the speakers, not from the tv

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Composite and component are for video only. You need to run aother cable, digital coax/optical or the red/white rca's, for audio.

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Oops, I'm sorry I wasn't more precise. I have all 3 RCA cables running from the stereo to the TV

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Can I assume you have all three cables, red/white/yellow, running from the xbox to the receiver? And you mean Composite, not the red, blue and green component, correct?

You may have to either assign the audio to the input on the receiver you hooked the video cable to, like Video 1, or DVD. Or you may have to change that input to Analog from Digital. Most receivers have an Audio Select button to do this.

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
I started out with component, then switched to composite after Adam's post, and yes I am aware I need to change the input on the receiver. Hence why I am able to hear it through the stereo's speakers. Not the TV's. I'm 100% sure i've set it up correctly up to the point of Receiver to TV

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Where on the back of the receiver did you hook the xbox and tv up to? Did you use the audio In and Out connections marked "Video" (?) just to the left of the subwoofer output and the video connections above it? (they are labeled as #4 on page 9 of the manual) or did you use another input like the DVD connection labeled #5 ?

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ok, now the Xbox is working. I am just down to not seeing or hearing the DVD from the TV

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ok, so I would say that the "Video/Audio In" didn't work except I hear it from the stereo speakers. Just can't get it to go through to the tv

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The connections on this Sony are very confusing to me.

I'd hook up the yellow video cable from the dvd player to the yellow DVD video input and then use a digital cable (coax or optical) to the digital DVD IN on the Sony. The tv should be hooked up to the Sony with a yellow video cable in the Sony's Monitor/Video out. I would then hook up the xbox to the Sony's inputs marked SAT with yellow/red/white cables, if you haven't already done so. This should allow xbox sound thru the receiver and dvd sound in digiatal thru the Sony's speakers and analog thru the tv. I hope, anyway.

FreshPaint

Grip
Real Name
Michael
crap, I don't have a digital coaxial audio cable. I can't understand why they'd be so stupid as to not use RCA audio for DVD

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Use can use a yellow video cable if you have one handy. Same spec as a digital coax (and Subwoofer) cable. And you could use one of the red/white cables in a pinch.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I can't understand why they'd be so stupid as to not use RCA audio for DVD
If by "RCA audio" you mean the analog red/white stereo, they can be used for DVD. They just aren't recommended because they're, well, analog and stereo. They don't do discrete digital surround sound and can't handle advanced audio codecs. At best they'll give you matrixed pseudo-multichannel surround. For that you need a digital audio connection - coax (with RCA connector), optical (toslink) or HDMI.

Regards,

Joe

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I removed Michael's post. It was in very poor taste and
should not have been posted on this forum.
I would advise that the removed reply be posted in a
more "PC" oriented manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks