Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oppo BDP-83 possible connections to current system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 31 2009 - 10:56 AM

Ok, I have a Yamaha RXV-1200 receiver that DOES NOT have HDMI inputs.  I currently connect my Yamaha S1200 DVD player to my TV with a component video cable and use an optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver for audio and RCA cables for 6 channel sound.

The TV I have is an LG42PC1DA which DOES have HDMI support.  If I were to connect the OPPO player to the TV with an HDMI cable and use the optical cable I currently use plus 5.1, 6 channel stero cables to my receiver, will that work?

I know I could use the component video cable, but a member on this board told me that DVD's I currently own would not upconvert through the component video cable.  I must use the HDMI cable.  Under the specs for the Oppo player a statement is made under the component video output..."available for non-restricted content only," which I now understand that upconverting is not possible through component video cables. I have a huge collection of DVD'd and I do want a Bluray player, but I don't want to lose the upscaling capabilities of the Bluray player.

My TV and the component rack I have are about 15' away from each other due to space requirements.  I didn't want to have cables visible all over the place, so I ran all of them down through the floor through my basement and then back up.  I just installed new hardwoods and don't mind fishing one HDMI cable. 

ANY comments are welcome.

Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,760 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 31 2009 - 11:25 AM

That will work fine. It's how I had my 83 hooked to an old (but lovable) H/K 520. I used the optical input for regular dvd's and cd's and the analog 5.1's for BluRay and Hi-Res audio.

At present time the subwoofer cross-over is fixed at 80hz for the 5.1 analog outputs but a firmware upgrade is supposed to add adjustable cross-over points. Make sure your speakers can habdle 80hz.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   DUSTMAN

DUSTMAN

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 31 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have Klipsch RF-3's "Reference Series" speakers, so I assume since they are very good speakers they will handle 80hz.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,760 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 31 2009 - 11:58 AM

Super! Since you're adding hdmi video you may have to change some settings in the OPPO's setup menu. Maybe.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.