What's new

PS3 help (1 Viewer)

tonedeaf420

Auditioning
Real Name
anthony
not sure if im in the right section, but ill ask anyway.

I am trying to hook up my PS3 to my 5 disc DVD player/Surround sound system. I do not have component cables for the PS3, just a HDMI cable. How to i get the audio to come out of my surround sound speakers and the video to come out of TV? My TV only supports 1 HDMI plug. If it helps, the back of the DVD player/receiver has video out(yellow white red), component out(green blue red), HDMI out and digital audio TV(optical)

Would i have to run HDMI plug from PS3 to TV then optical cable from TV to receiver? Any help will be appreciated

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If your receiver only has inputs, then you'll have to do PS3->TV and TV->receiver or PS3->TV and PS3->receiver.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If the Digital Audio TV optical jack is an input, then you can run an optical cable from the PS3 audio out to the receiver and HDMI from the PS3 to the TV. In the PS3 settings, you'll enable the optical audio output and disable the HDMI audio output.

If you run HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and then optical from the TV to the receiver, I believe the TV will downmix the PS3 audio to 2-channel stereo (you pirate, you). If you want the TV and PS3 to both feed audio to the receiver and still get 5.1 from the PS3, you'll have to get some sort of optical splitter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For reference, my stereo only has 1 optical input (no HDMI) so I have my PS3 to my TV by HDMI and from my PS3 to my receiver by optical. Also, if I go through my TV, there is a lag in the audio. This really sucked in Rock Band. In order to use the optical on my TV and my PS3 through the one input, I bought an optical switcher for like $10 off eBay and some extra optical cables.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Did your TV pass a 5.1 signal from the PS3 through the optical? I thought that was a no-no due to copy-protection rules.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not sure. I played Rock Band 2 on it like that, noticed the terrible lag, and immediately changed back. It was connected by PS3->TV by HDMI and TV->receiver by optical.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think it is possible to set the PS3 to output audio over optical instead of HDMI (I don't do it myself, but I seem to recall seeing the options underg settings).

As for lag, calibrate! Some sort of lag is inevitable when HDMI and an HDTV is involved, and there are options in the games to calibrate for both audio and video lag.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I use HDMI for video and optical for audio and it works well for me. I tried HDMI for both into TV then optical for audio from TV to receive and there was lag, so much so that it actually made it hard to play Rock Band after calibrating because the lag was so bad.

Dllhall

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan Hall
Hi guys, I am having a similar problem... I am not getting any sound through my Sony 6.2 STR-KM5000 receiver through the HDMI cables. I have gone to the PS3 settings under auto which didn't work, manual and selected all boxs which i don't get an frequency error for. Press x to accept, but nothing. I have been through the threads above but have not been able to pick a solution...

Is the optic for sound my only answer? Dylan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Are you doing HDMI into the receiver then video into the TV from the receiver, or doing HDMI to the TV and then audio to the receiver with HDMI?

Dllhall

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan Hall
I have gone HDMI from PS3 into receiver, then HDMI into TV as the manual has shown.
Still nothing I sat playing with the settings for an hour again this morning. Till not coming right...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Dllhall

I have gone HDMI from PS3 into receiver, then HDMI into TV as the manual has shown.
Still nothing I sat playing with the settings for an hour again this morning. Till not coming right...
One small point to check, just in case though I doubt it's the cause of your problems: if the game itself has a setting for Dolby Digital, you need to uncheck that, since the TV (probably) won't decode DD. I made that mistake myself once.

I have fed the PS3 direct into the TV, or to the receiver first, depending on whether I feel like using the full HT rig when playing.

Another mundane thing to check: is your HDMI cable faulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks