Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are so many series stalled or stopped?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#101 of 108 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted January 05 2010 - 03:11 PM

I guess you guys didn't tape a lot of shows when videotapes cost $20 each for 2 hours of recording time.

#102 of 108 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 05 2010 - 03:21 PM

^ Or buy laserdiscs. Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone and especially Star Trek were all hundreds of dollars.

Having said that, that is the past and no one would pay those kinds of prices today.

#103 of 108 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,644 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 06 2010 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

^ Or buy laserdiscs. Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone and especially Star Trek were all hundreds of dollars.

Having said that, that is the past and no one would pay those kinds of prices today.
Exactly.  Indeed, I have paid $100 or more in the past for some laserdisc sets, including Twin Peaks, and even around $125 for the special edition of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' on laserdisc.  The early DVD sets of Star Trek: TNG and The X-Files were also $100/each or more when I started my collection.

But the modern marketplace has changed with the technology and I would no longer spend that much on any release. That's one of the reasons I resist moving fully into Blu-Ray; I'm not willing to spend $25-$40 per disc.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#104 of 108 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 07 2010 - 05:16 AM

Those early sets of TNG and The X-Files are still extremely expensive for their age (even though X-Files was repackaged). I still won't buy them because of the price, and they've been available since the dawn of TV-DVD.

Too bad, I'd love to own them.

#105 of 108 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 07 2010 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt View Post

Those early sets of TNG and The X-Files are still extremely expensive for their age (even though X-Files was repackaged). I still won't buy them because of the price, and they've been available since the dawn of TV-DVD.

Too bad, I'd love to own them.
I have seen both shows on sale quite often. I have seen The X Files thinpack sets for under $20 a season! I myself picked up the later seasons of TNG for $25, a season.

#106 of 108 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 06:28 AM

Where did you find them for those prices? Everywhere I look, they're at or near full cost. Even on Amazon.

#107 of 108 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 08 2010 - 07:56 AM

^ It's been a while but Best Buy has had The X-Files slim sets on sale for $20 a couple times. And I think I've seen them at Target for $20 or $25 a few times too.

#108 of 108 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 09 2010 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

I guess you guys didn't tape a lot of shows when videotapes cost $20 each for 2 hours of recording time.
$25 in 1977, but only if the one or two stores that sold them had any in stock, which was sporadic at best./img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif