Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I need some help on my Yamaha HTR-6130. Anyone have or had one?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 29 2009 - 02:54 PM

I recently got this receiver for christmas and cant seem to get all my speakers to show up on the main screen of the receiver. It is only showing my front two speakers on the screen. The 5 speakers are playing sound but are not showing up. If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 29 2009 - 03:11 PM

What source are you using? A dvd player, satillite receiver, etc.

The speaker indicators on the display show what the receiver is receiving. It looks like it's receiving a two channel signal and then using Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo:6 to create sound for the other speakers.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 29 2009 - 03:15 PM

They will only show when the receiver is receiving a 5.1 surround signal, I think. If you have a dvd player hooked up with a digital connection, put a movie in. When the movie actually starts, it should say Dolby Digital in the receiver's display window, and the speaker icons should be lit. This is assuming that the receiver's audio input is set to "Auto", so it automatically chooses the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Try it and let us know what happens.

Or is this what you're talking about? I thought you were talking about the test tones play through all the speakers?

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 30 2009 - 03:34 AM

Ok I was kinda thinking about that last night, maybe it isn't getting a 5.1 signal. I will hook my blu ray player up to it and see what happens then when I get time. Thanks for the info and I will keep you guys informed. Also I do not have a digital coaxal cord hooked up will I need to pick one up and try that? And lastly anyone have any ideas as to what good quality speaker wire I should get? I would prefer flat wire, this is because they are coming to install carpet in my movie room monday and I would like to run it under the carpet.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 30 2009 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
 Also I do not have a digital coaxal cord hooked up will I need to pick one up and try that?

Yes, you need a digital cable, coax or optical. It doesn't need to be expensive. Same with the speaker wire.

Quote:
And lastly anyone have any ideas as to what good quality speaker wire I should get? I would prefer flat wire, this is because they are coming to install carpet in my movie room monday and I would like to run it under the carpet.

MonoPrice.com is the most often recommended place to get cables and wires but they don't seem to have flat wire. Anyway, don't use less than 16g with 14g being prefered. Stay away from expensive brands like Monster Cable. Way over-priced. See if Home Depot/Loews carries flat wire.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 30 2009 - 05:13 AM

Thanks alot, this information is very helpfull.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 30 2009 - 06:43 AM

The only place I've seen flat speaker wire is at Radio Shack.
I don't think flat is really necessary. Speaker wire isn't so thick that you'd feel it or see a rise in the carpet, especially if they put a padding under the new carpet. Maybe you're like the Princess, in the Princess and the Pea story, where she could feel the pea under a big stack of mattresses? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

I use 14 gauge speaker wire I got at Lowe's. It was about $25 for a 100 ft. spool. As Gene said, stay away from Monster brand. Any other brand will work just fine. Radio Shack, Best Buy, and other similar stores will try to talk you into Monster brand, telling you all kinds of stuff. Don't let them...............

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 10:02 AM

I went and got the digital coaxal cord for the receiver, I then realized that my tv does not have a digital coaxal slot. So i then went and got a optical digital audio cord, and still the receiver only shows the front two speakers on the display. Im running out of patience guys. Like I said though it is playing audio out of all the speakers even in dolby digital when I select the different inputs. But shouldn't it show all 5 speakers lit up on the display when watching a movie or something that offeres the 5.1?

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 01 2010 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
I then realized that my tv does not have a digital coaxal slot. So i then went and got a optical digital audio cord, and still the receiver only shows the front two speakers on the display.

Lets start over. What components do you have and how are they hooked up.

If you want Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 out of a BluRay player or dvd player then hook it up to the receiver (not the tv) with a digital cable, coax or optical, and set the dvd player to output "Bitstream" (not PCM) in the players audio setup menu.

If you want DD and DTS from your cable or satillite company then you have to hook the box up to the receiver (again, not the tv) with a digital audio cable and then use another cable, hdmi or component depending on what your cable/satillite box and tv have for video.Most tv's will only output 2 channel stereo (which is why only two speakers light up on the receivers display) out the optical output from an external device like cable (with a cable box) or satillite. I'm not sure how tv's output 5.1 audio out the optical with a "cable ready" tv which has an internal cable tuner and a cable box isn't used. The tv will output 5.1 thru the digital output from it's own internal tuner like signals received from an antenna.

Bottom line is we need to know what components you are trying to hook up to the receiver. Brand and model number would be most helpfull. Don't be discouraged. We'll help you get there.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,886 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 01 2010 - 10:41 AM

The optical cable from your TV is designed to be used if you are using the tuner in your TV with an antenna hooked up.  If you are using a cable or sat box you need to run the digital cable from that box to your receiver unless you are using a HDMI cable.  Can you give us a description of what components you have and, what they are hooked up to and with what type of cable? You mentioned you have a Blu-ray player.  Supporting the HD sound from Blu-rays is only possible in certain setups.  Can you give us your Blu-ray and receiver model so we can give you the correct way to set it up (digital coax or optical cables won't work for the HD sound formats).

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 10:54 AM

Ok I have a Toshiba Regza 55zv655u lcd, samsung BD-P1500 blu ray player.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 10:56 AM

bitstream (re-encode) or bitstream (audiophile) on blu ray player?

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 11:14 AM

ok as for my direct tv receiver i have a just the standard red and white rca cables hooked up to my receiver from direct tv receiver. I have a hdtv antenna for my local channels that is mounted on top of my house, if I run the optical digital sound cord from my tv to the receiver will it pick up the 5.1 frequency if it is run through the tv?

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 01 2010 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
bitstream (re-encode) or bitstream (audiophile) on blu ray player?

Re-encode.

Quote:
ok as for my direct tv receiver i have a just the standard red and white rca cables hooked up to my receiver from direct tv receiver.

Then you will only receive a stereo signal and only 2 speakers will light up on the display. Use Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo:6 (my choice) for simulated surround sound.

Quote:
I have a hdtv antenna for my local channels that is mounted on top of my house, if I run the optical digital sound cord from my tv to the receiver will it pick up the 5.1 frequency if it is run through the tv?

Iv'e never tried it but as I understand it you should get a 5.1 signal at the receiver when getting HD local channels via an antenna and hooking the tv to the receiver with an optical cable. But each tv does things differently. You may want to consult you owners manual.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Bart4

Bart4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 11:28 AM

ok thanks guys I have 5.1 now on my blu ray movies after changing the audio settings to bitstream. Thanks guys for all the help I was considering giving up.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 01 2010 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help I was considering giving up.
We don't allow that here /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif . Well, we do, but only after we've given up first!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif  

Glad we could help.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   sunAV

sunAV

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 02 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have issue with Yamaha HTR 6130. Cannot get the TV sound through receiver speakers. I have a Philips DVD player DVP 642 also connected. everythiing is working fine except that I cannot get the TV audio on receiver speaker, I have Sony Bravia EX52 LCD. Can some one help me , I guess either the connections that I have used is wrong. any help is appreciated greatly

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted September 02 2012 - 09:19 PM

How do you have the TV and the receiver connected? Also, are you using cable or an over-the-air antenna, and wher is that connected to?