What's new

When to buy a new Panasonic? Wait for new models? (2 Viewers)

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've been thinking about purchasing a new plasma, specifically a Panasonic 42" G10/G15, and I was wondering what the best time to buy would be over the coming few months. Initially I was planning on waiting until the Super Bowl when I could, presumably, take advantage of deals to get a good price, but I've recently begun to think that I might be even better off waiting even longer. Since the Super Bowl is, apparently, in early February would it make more sense to just wait a few months more until the new models begin to come out? I've heard of issues with the green tint on the G10 that apparently don't exist on the V10 (a bit too far out of my price range) due to a firmware upgrade, but that Panasonic won't release to the G10. Likewise the possibility that the flickering of the 24fps mode's 48Hz will be improved to 72 or 96Hz to resolve those problems.

Thus I have a couple of possibilities open to me now:
  1. Wait until the Super Bowl and check out sales then
  2. Wait for new models and hope the price goes down even further
  3. Wait for new models and hope I can pick up and improved model for something close to the current price
I've already been looking around at after-Christmas sales and none of them seem to beat the more or less steady online price of $850 delivered without tax. Which is about where it's been since I started checking prices this past August. Aside from being the price I've been seeing that's also more or less my upwards limit. Under $900 is absolutely firm.
Does it seem likely that prices will go down noticeably enough when the new models start shipping? Are there any early indications of what might be in store for us with them? Will the prices likely be much higher than what the current generation is? When should we begin to expect them?

ken325i

Auditioning
Real Name
KEN
Don't buy any current Panasonic models. They all have increasing black levels. Go to AVS.com Plasma section and look for Pana increasing black levels thread. Either wait for the new models (assuming they fizx the problem, or go with asamsung 650.

Good luck!
Ken

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
CES starts next week and most new models will be announced then (availability TBD). You can see if there is anything in the new line that you think is worth waiting for.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i

Don't buy any current Panasonic models. They all have increasing black levels. Go to AVS.com Plasma section and look for Pana increasing black levels thread. Either wait for the new models (assuming they fizx the problem, or go with asamsung 650.
Actually, only the G10 models have the black levels issue, although unfortunately, that's what the OP is looking at. In any case, since he's not interested in the V10s or the Kuros, he might as well wait. But don't expect that the prices will fall appreciably. Most if not all of the models coming out at CES will have a major price-tag modifier in the form of 3D, so it's unlikely that they'll be cheaper or even the same price. The non-V10 models may see a price drop, since they're not in short supply and Panasonic just finished a new factory.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Most if not all of the models coming out at CES will have a major price-tag modifier in the form of 3D

From what I hear there will be only two 3D models from Panasonic (well 3 if you count the special order only 103"). Look for a 50 and 54 inch. I am assuming they are based on the V series (or new model equivalent).

theadvisor

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Friend of mine just picked up a G10 about a month ago. It looks great. When I went in to inquire about one a few weeks later my friend at PC Richards said that they had already discontinued them. I thought this was peculuar. They do get good reviews, but based on what is being said about the black level issues I would be weary.

Personally.. I just picked up a Samsung 52" 750 Series LCD for $1200 brand new, marked down from $2700. The LEDs are better, but in comparison to the 50" G10 my buddy picked up (for the same $1200) there is no compare between my display and his. I think that you will see non LED LCD TVs come down in price as there is now a superior technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks