What's new

Home theatre setup help!? (1 Viewer)

JamesBwoii

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I've just purchased this: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-0497.aspx

I'm having a little trouble setting it up. I can get it to work with the DVD player that came with it but I want it for normal T.V. and xbox 360. How can I make it so the surround sound is playing the sound on the T.V.?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Does the Technika have any audio inputs? You need a way to connect the XBox and tv sourse (cable, satillite box) to the Technika. If it doesn't have any audio inputs then you can't hook the tv or XBox up to it.
We don't have that brand in the U.S. so I can't find anything about it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
A quick glance at the specifications for the home theater system indicate that it has only one 3.5mm (headphone-style) audio input jack. This is probably intended for an iPod or other portable device.

Upon further review - I can't find ANY specific information about this device from ANY site, and the site you linked to doesn't seem to have very detailed specs for ANY of the systems there (i.e. it shows only a 3.5mm jack for EVERY system listed on the site, which I find hard to believe).

Unless the back of the home theater you have has an RCA-style jack marked "Digital In" or something similar, you will not be able to get any digital surround sound from any external source. In your case, you'd like to have two inputs - one for the XBox and another for the TV source.

Assuming the site above is correct, and you only have a headphone jack, a cable that has a 3.5mm headphone jack at one end, and stereo RCA jacks on the other (like this one from Monoprice - but you can find them just about anywhere) may enable stereo sound from ONE of your sources (TV or XBox) to be fed into the home theater system. The stereo sound would then be processed using Dolby ProLogic to create a simulated surround sound effect. Not the best, but it would be better than your TV speakers.

If possible, you may want to consider returning the home theater system and getting one that has two additional digital audio inputs. Clearly, this system does not meet your current needs.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not sure what a line 1 input is but it doesn't sound like what you need. This is one of the reasons why these all-in-one systems aren't very popular around here. If this is all you can afford right now (tough times for us all) then enjoy the dvd part of it at least.

Come to a site like this one first next time and find out what you need before you buy. We've all made the same mistakes, but maybe we can be more helpfull next time.

BrownMagic

Auditioning
Real Name
Soham
I need help hooking up a lot of equipment.

I have a Sony Bravia 1000 watt surround system with HDMI and 1 standard A/V input and digiat Audio
I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch LCD HDTV with 4 HDMI, 2 component, 1 standard A/V and digital Audio
I have an XBox 360 with component Cables
I have Optimum Cablevision HD Box with Component and 1 standard A/V
I have the Samsung Internet Bluray player with HDMI connection, 1 component, 1 standard

right now i can only get the sound to play through the cable box and the rest is through the tv speakers...any help on the best way to set this up so that the sound plays for everything hooked into the tv would be great.

JamesBwoii

Auditioning
Real Name
James
UPDATE:
I can plug my xbox cables into the box and get sound but no picture OR plug them into the TV and get picture and no sound!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Soham, you should start a new thread. It's too difficult and confusing to help two people with setup problems in the same thread.

I need help hooking up a lot of equipment.

I have a Sony Bravia 1000 watt surround system
But we will need the model number of your Sony Bravia. There's too many different models out there.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Could you recommend me the cheapest one that would work?"

Where are you located? Looks to me like you're out of the U.S.

I can plug my xbox cables into the box and get sound but no picture OR plug them into the TV and get picture and no sound!

You should be able to hook the xbox to the tv and get picture and sound. Make sure both audio and video are connected to the same input on the tv.

JamesBwoii

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Right, i've plugged the standard cables (White, red and yellow into the technika) then i've plugged the blue, green and red cables into the tv. Now I can picture and sound but the picture is in black and white!
Is this anything to do with the fact that i've got a CRT (Cathode ray tube) TV?!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by JamesBwoii

Right, i've plugged the standard cables (White, red and yellow into the technika) then i've plugged the blue, green and red cables into the tv. Now I can picture and sound but the picture is in black and white!
Is this anything to do with the fact that i've got a CRT (Cathode ray tube) TV?!

Did the Blue, Green, and Red cables go into Blue, Green, and Red input plugs? From the sounds of things, I would guess you plugged them into Red, White, Yellow plugs on the TV. That won't work.

Does your TV have component inputs (Blue, Green, Red connectors)? If so, plug into that. Otherwise, you'll need to simply run a single yellow composite cable to the yellow input on the TV.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Quote:
The R/W/Y cables can't handle the bandwidth necessary for the G/B/R connections. Go get a G/B/R cable and you'll be fine. (The R&W are for stereo audio, the Y is for composite video; the G/B/R cable is for component video.)

And no, nothing to do with it being a CRT.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

The R/W/Y cables can't handle the bandwidth necessary for the G/B/R connections. Go get a G/B/R cable and you'll be fine. (The R&W are for stereo audio, the Y is for composite video; the G/B/R cable is for component video.)

And no, nothing to do with it being a CRT.

I'm not certain this is the problem. From what he describes, I think he has taken the component outputs from the home theater, and plugged them into a set of composite inputs on the TV. That would explain the black and white picture - only one of the three component video cables is feeding a composite input.

James - how are the cable and XBox connected to the TV (or are they)? Can you tell us what type and how many inputs are still available on the TV?

If your TV doesn't have three different video inputs, there's no way you can have all three sources hooked up at once.

JamesBwoii

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I have plugged the red and white normal cables into the sound system and then the blue, green and red cables into normal yellow, white and red holes is that the problem?
Anyway, I am getting a new Alba 32" tommorow so that should help!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is a problem. You are running component signals (video) into a composite video input (yellow) and into left and right audio inputs (red and white). The component cables should be going to component inputs on the TV. These would normally be colour coded as Green, Blue, Red. You are getting Black and White because only part of the video signal is being detected.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by JamesBwoii

Anyway, I am getting a new Alba 32" tommorow so that should help!

When you get the new TV, please let us know how many inputs it has and what type they are - better yet, provide us with the exact model number so we can verify online what connections it has.

Remember, the type of video connection must match at both end of a cable run. Yellow video out must plug into a yellow video in (composite). Component video out must go into component video in (RGB).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, can you tell us what your TV source is? Do you have a cable or satellite set-top box or do you just screw the coaxial cable into the back of the TV?

I think you're fine with respect to video inputs:
- Connect the DVD/Home theater to the TV using component video connections (Red, Green, Blue RCA-Style plugs at both ends).
- Connect the XBox to the TV using an HDMI cable (for the XBox, you need a special HDMI cable that will plug into the proprietary connector on the XBox).
- Cable or Satellite can connect to the TV using either the other HDMI connection, the SCART socket, or the composite connection (yellow RCA plug)

On the audio side, I'm concerned that the home theater has only 1 set of additional INPUTS available. If this is the case, you will need to choose which of your two other sources (cable or XBox) you want to use with the surround system. The other will have to use the TVs speakers.

Using a pair of Red/White RCA plugs, connect the audio out of either the cable box or XBox to the audio in on the home theater. Use another pair of Red/White plugs to connect the audio out of the remaining source into the corresponding audio input on the TV (i.e. if the XBox sound is to go through the TV, connect the XBox audio to the set of inputs that corresponds to the HDMI input you connected the XBox to).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks