What's new

Speaker Cable to RCA Plug (does this really work?) (1 Viewer)

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
I have a family room that is pre-wired, and the corner that the subwoofer would go in has a speaker cable connection that goes through the walls, back to the front of the room to where my receiver is right now. I'm wondering if I can use something like this cable, which has 18 gauge speaker cable on one end, and an RCA connection on the other end to go from my receiver's subwoffer out (RCA), convert to speaker wire, through the walls, out of the wall again as speaker wire, then back to RCA into a subwoofer.

I would need two of these cables to do the trick.

Would this work? Would it also mess up the signal quality?

The cable is at: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959

pRS1C-2265295w345.jpg

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A subwoofer cable is supposed to be a 75 ohm coaxial cable. While what you're considering may actually work to some degree it wouldn't be the right way to do it. Subwoofer performance would likely suffer. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd do it right the first time and use the correct cable.

That particular cable is designed for use with the very few speakers which use the rca type connection with a receiver that uses regular speaker wire. It's not intended to be used as you're suggesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks