-

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Cable to RCA Plug (does this really work?)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   apatel

apatel

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted December 26 2009 - 09:27 AM

I have a family room that is pre-wired, and the corner that the subwoofer  would go in has a speaker cable connection that goes through the walls, back to the front of the room to where my receiver is right now.  I'm wondering if I can use something like this cable, which has 18 gauge speaker cable on one end, and an RCA connection on the other end to go from my receiver's subwoffer out (RCA), convert to speaker wire, through the walls, out of the wall again as speaker wire, then back to RCA into a subwoofer.

I would need two of these cables to do the trick.

Would this work?  Would it also mess up the signal quality?

The cable is at: http://www.radioshac...oductId=2102959

24-Ft. 18-Gauge Speaker Cable with RCA Plug

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,712 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 26 2009 - 12:05 PM

A subwoofer cable is supposed to be a 75 ohm coaxial cable. While what you're considering may actually work to some degree it wouldn't be the right way to do it. Subwoofer performance would likely suffer. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd do it right the first time and use the correct cable.

That particular cable is designed for use with the very few speakers which use the rca type connection with a receiver that uses regular speaker wire. It's not intended to be used as you're suggesting.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.