Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

5.1 vs 7.1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 minou

minou

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 02:35 AM

If I have a 5.1 speaker set can I buy a 7.1 receiver with out adding new speakers ?

Thanks in advance !  /img/vbsmilies/htf/alien.gif

#2 of 4 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 08:33 AM

Yes. 

#3 of 4 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 08:37 AM

You may not connect two sets of amplifier terminals to one set of speaker terminals.

Generally you may use the 7.1 receiver with the 5.1 speaker set leaving two sets of amplifier terminals unconnected. In a few cases you have to turn the volume for those two channels all the way down. Check the receiver instructions.

#4 of 4 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 25 2009 - 11:45 AM

If your receiver has auto calibration with a microphone, you can do the auto cal and will automatically shut those two channels off.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users