What's new

Would you want the Disney Treasures Collection on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

blakninja

Auditioning
Real Name
Van
Hi,

I have quite a bunch of Disney Treasures DVDs (tin box).. but i wouldn't mind they release the collection all over again on BD. Are there any plans for this? Is the demand there? Is it worth it (quality improvement wise)?

Cheers,

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I would love to see them on blu-ray. Particularly I would like to see the People and Places documentary on Disneyland in HD. However the DVD sets have been selling only marginally well enough to keep the series going, and it is quite possible that Zorro will be the last Treasures set. There seems to be little incentive for Disney to put these out on blu-ray.

Doug

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There might be some incentive to re-release the series on Blu-Ray, under these circumstances:

—They do not lock it into the DVD release order and set-up
—Full restorations and remastering of all material (no more mid-1980s masters)
—Fewer sets (perhaps doing all of one character's cartoons in one fell swoop)
—More and better extras
—No censorship

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think most of those provisors deal particularly with the animated shorts sets. Other than the Goofy shorts the animation sets didn't interest me all that much. I was thinking more of the live action stuff like Zorro, Tomorrowland, and the Hardy Boys sets which did get new transfers. Also anything dealing directly with Disneyland. I would like to see the second season of the Hardy Boys released at least on DVD if nothing else.

Doug

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Having spent a fortune on the DVD tins ... yes, I would certainly buy Walt Disney Treasures and Walt Disney Legacy: True Life Adventures on Blu-ray. The suggestion offered above to reconfigure the sets into fewer editions is a good idea. Instead of two volumes of Silly Symphonies and four volumes on Mickey Mouse, give us only one volume or two volumes containing all the same shorts. Upgrade the transfers as need be. Simplify the menus. Rrelease the rest of the Hardy Boys, the rest of Spin and Marty, the rest of the Elfego Baca -- drop the other shoe, please!

And this is very important: correct the day-for-night timing on Dr. Syn!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
On the one hand, absolutely. Right now, missing three sets, I'm using an entire shelf for my Treasures. If they can be condensed, as has been mentioned, I'm down for that. However, I'd prefer Disney focus on releasing next year's wave-if there's to be one-on both DVD and BD. I'm not a huge fan of having multiple versions of the same material on the shelf, albeit in different formats.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Sadly, the live-action Disney Treasures did not sell as well as the animated sets. Blu-ray re-issues of the live action DVD Disney Treasure sets is unlikely unless ABC-Disney forsees a surge in sales of of Blu-ray re-issues.

The Disney Treasures series would not have continued this year had ZORRO not already been re-mastered in 2008 for a future DVD release. Since the re-mastered elements were already prepared, it was a no-brainer to use them as a Disney Treasures release this year. No other programs were re-mastered and ABC-Disney had no interest in spending 2009 money for more re-mastering, thus only two Disney Treasure sets were made available this year.

We are just lucky we had a chance to finish the Donald Duck cartoons last year before the economy dropped.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
The True Life Adventure series was shot in 16mm and never looked particularly good even on 35mm prints. So, BD would probably bring nothing new to your screen besides more accurately rendered grain .

Everthing else could clearly benefit from a remastering in HD.

Vern

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Snow White has some true 1080p remastered cartoons as extras and they look fantastic, especially The Old Mill and Music Land.

Although, it might work best to have more "picky" collections. I'd love to buy a BluRay equivalent to the WWII set, but not necessarily the 2nd Silly Symphonies volume.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I've all the tins and haven't opened a single one. Don't think I would double dip unless I could trade title for title and just pay foe shipping!

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I have to say I'm content with my DVDs. I'd love to replace them and the rest of my DVD collection if that were financially feasible. Sadly, that's not the case! There's been some upgrading to Blu-ray, but very little. I'd rather spend my movie budget on things I don't have and want than things I already own. I'm afraid my Treasures sets don't make the cut.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Patrick,
Where are the 2 Cartoons on Snow White located?
I've looked at both discs, but I can't find them.
I do however have the Australian Edition, so I guess it's possible that they are not included on this version.

Music Land has always looked poor on Tape, Laserdisc and DVD.( Especially the color )

Thank You.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
In the "Hyperion Studios" section interspersed with the documentaries and archival films. There's actually eight cartoons - Steamboat Willie, Flowers and Trees, The Old Mill, Music Land, The Goddess of Spring (upscaled), The Skeleton Dance, Babes in the Woods, and Playful Pluto. TSD is not the superior 1.20:1 restoration on the Oswald set, though. Steamboat Willie is a Lowry Digital remaster.
Originally Posted by Doug Bull

Patrick,
Where are the 2 Cartoons on Snow White located?
I've looked at both discs, but I can't find them.
I do however have the Australian Edition, so I guess it's possible that they are not included on this version.

Music Land has always looked poor on Tape, Laserdisc and DVD.( Especially the color )

Thank You.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Many Thanks Patrick.
After yet another frustrating, time consuming search I finally stumbled across them.
However, I'm not at all sure if I will be able to retrace my steps again. ;-)
Disney certainly knows how to hide things.

"Music Land " finally looks terrific.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
With a little digital TLC they can finally do something about the registration errors on the early Technicolor cartoons.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Richard--W

The suggestion offered above to reconfigure the sets into fewer editions is a good idea. Instead of two volumes of Silly Symphonies and four volumes on Mickey Mouse, give us only one volume or two volumes containing all the same shorts.

Originally Posted by Jason_V

Right now, missing three sets, I'm using an entire shelf for my Treasures. If they can be condensed, as has been mentioned, I'm down for that.

The disc capacity of Blu-ray would allow the Treasures series to fit within fewer sets so, if a BD re-release were to happen, you could expect a condensed collection.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'd buy most of them all over again.

I would also like to see a release (on any format) of the People and Places series.

-R

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
well, I for one, would LOVE to see the Treasures sets re-released on BluRay!

Especially if the mult-DVD sets are condensed!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The costs could be much lower re-releasing them if they were already remastered in HD, like most of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections. However, if they do, they will have to actually remaster the material that weren't remastered in their original DVD releases, Like the Donald Duck Collection Volume 2. In all, it would only be an incentive if they don't have to remaster a majority of the material.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by JoHud

The costs could be much lower re-releasing them if they were already remastered in HD, like most of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections. However, if they do, they will have to actually remaster the material that weren't remastered in their original DVD releases, Like the Donald Duck Collection Volume 2.
In all, it would only be an incentive if they don't have to remaster a majority of the material.

There is a difference. In the case of the Golden Collections, Warner used the original three-strip negs for the color shorts. To the best of my knowledge, Disney has never attempted such a thing for their catalog outside of features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks