Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: District 9 (Highly Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 22 2009 - 01:33 PM

Rich Gallagher

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,929 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 22 2009 - 01:38 PM

Richard:

Nice job, as always.

Picked this up today as a blind buy.  Very much looking forward to it after your raves about PQ, SQ & story.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted December 22 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the review Richard. I have this coming tomorrow from NetFlix. Looking forward to seeing it. Also, i cant believe i am getting a new release from NetFlix, the week it comes out!

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 22 2009 - 02:50 PM

That's terrific to get a hot new title so quickly from Netflix. You'll love it, I'm sure!

Rich Gallagher

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted December 22 2009 - 04:17 PM

Quote:

The Final Analysis

District 9 is one of the most imaginative and original alien/sci-fi films which I have seen in recent years. It also is intelligent, violent, fast-paced and exciting, with exceedingly high production values. It deserves my highest recommendation.

I agree 100%

After my huge disappointment in a blind buy of Tarantino's latest last week....watching this tonight I had the complete opposite reaction. What a great ride this film was from start to finish.

I had no idea what D9 was about other than an alien ship had come to earth and we had them among us. What a unique take on the sci-fi genre. Can't wait to recommend this to friends.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 22 2009 - 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mike caronia 

I had no idea what D9 was about other than an alien ship had come to earth and we had them among us. What a unique take on the sci-fi genre. Can't wait to recommend this to friends.

You hit the nail on the head. I did not see this in a theater and I deliberately avoided reading about it because I knew I would be reviewing it when the BD came out. I was immediately caught up in it.Great from start to finish..

Rich Gallagher

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,605 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 22 2009 - 04:29 PM

Doesn't that review give up the entire movie except the end?

anyway I liked the movie it was great to watch something as original as this.
I think the menu let's you choose either alien or human, but I didn't notice what the difference was.

There was 2 things that had me confused.
Did...
His father in-law put him in charge with the intention of causing Wilkus to be infected?

What was the plan of the aliens.
When the alien was in his house with his son at one point I thought he was saying to his son that their plan was ruined or something like that.
Just seemed like there was something more to what was going on with them.

facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted December 22 2009 - 08:09 PM

well, I was waiting for a review of this disc, and it sounds like my kind of flick.....I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

What was the plan of the aliens.
When the alien was in his house with his son at one point I thought he was saying to his son that their plan was ruined or something like that.
Just seemed like there was something more to what was going on with them.
I thought the plan was just "escape and get the hell back home". But the plan was ruined when their fuel source was confiscated.

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Producer

• 3,070 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the great review, Rich. I pre-ordered this a while back and it arrived yesterday. After I catch Invictus at the theater today, I plan on spinning this - which I am now, thanks to your review, even more excited about watching.

Neil
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 06:51 AM

Good review although I do believe too many plot points were divulged in the film synopsis.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 07:44 AM

I almost rented this today. Saw it once in the theater and while a fantastic film, there's just not enough there to warrant a purchase, no rewatch factor in it for me.

Great review though and a rental at some point.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   PatW

PatW

Screenwriter

• 1,543 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 10:38 AM

Great review. Was going to rent this first but the steelbook at futureshop beckoned me and I wasn't disappointed. Great movie.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 23 2009 - 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Southpaw 

Good review although I do believe too many plot points were divulged in the film synopsis.

You can't write a decent review without talking about the plot, and the question of how much information is too much information is a subjective one and not always an easy one to answer. In this case, I decided to address what happens to Wikus in part because the packaging clearly states that one of the extras is called "Metamorphosis: The Transforrmation of Wikus."  Anyone who sees that is not going to be surprised that Wikus undergoes a metamorphosis.

That said, we reviewers try to be sensitive to spoilers, but there may be occasions when we reveal too much.

Rich Gallagher

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 11:23 PM

Interesting that you talk about it being very "film like". District 9 was shot completely with the Red One 4k digital camera. I wonder if they added grain to the image to help it look more like film?

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted December 24 2009 - 04:24 AM

This certainly was one of the impressive looking films I have ever seen.  The effects were just so transparent.  I tend to have a keen eye for CGI and normally find it annoying when too much is on the screen, but this film did a great job.  The story is pretty original and enjoyable.  My only complaint is that the lead character is pretty much completely unlikable.  As others have said, he is this strange mix of the manager from "Flight of the Conchords" and Michael Scott from "The Office".  Not a good mix.  
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 24 2009 - 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

Interesting that you talk about it being very "film like". District 9 was shot completely with the Red One 4k digital camera. I wonder if they added grain to the image to help it look more like film?

Doug
My personal approach is that I don't look up the technical specs before I write a review, because I don't want them to influence my opinion on what I see. To my eyes, it looks like film, and as someone else pointed out the CGI doesn't look like CGI.

IMDB says that the source format is 4K Redcode RAW, the master format is Digital Intermediate, and it was printed on 35mm film.

Rich Gallagher

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 24 2009 - 11:51 AM

I was going to mention in my review that this BD was a bit slow to load, but then I realized that my BD50 didn't have the latest firmware update, so in fairness I didn't want to make a negative comment which might be unwarranted. I just installed the latest update (2.1) and now the disc loads pretty quickly.

Anyone who encounters slow loading might want to check his or her Blu-ray player and make sure it has the latest firmware installed.

Rich Gallagher

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted December 24 2009 - 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher 

My personal approach is that I don't look up the technical specs before I write a review, because I don't want them to influence my opinion on what I see. To my eyes, it looks like film, and as someone else pointed out the CGI doesn't look like CGI.

IMDB says that the source format is 4K Redcode RAW, the master format is Digital Intermediate, and it was printed on 35mm film.

Oh I wasn't questioning that it looked like film, I just thought it was interesting how film like it looked when it was a completely digital product. I imagine the 35mm prints were strictly for theatrical presentation. I suspect the blu-ray comes ported directly from the digital master files.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 24 2009 - 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

Oh I wasn't questioning that it looked like film, I just thought it was interesting how film like it looked when it was a completely digital product. I imagine the 35mm prints were strictly for theatrical presentation. I suspect the blu-ray comes ported directly from the digital master files.

Doug

Whatever they did, they did it right. I certainly didn't have the feeling that I was watching a digital print. I wish now that I had seen it in a theater so I would know how well it compares. I just now read Roger Ebert's review and he talks about the seamless merger of the CGI, so I suspect that the Blu-ray accurately reflects how it looked in theaters.

Rich Gallagher

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users