-

Photo
- - - - -

Need connection help for Dummy :-)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   cwwilhelm

cwwilhelm

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 21 2009 - 10:58 AM

I have/had low level stuff and the reciever gave up the ghost.  Wife wanted it replaced for watching Christmas movies.  Got a Sony STR-DH800 for the replacement.  I think I have most of the connections figured out except the sub.
There is a connection on the reciever named audio out subwoofer, the problem I have is on the sub there are the following:

From Amplifier with left and right speaker wire connections
To Speaker with left and right speaker wire connections
Low level input with a left and right plug-ins

The sub is a cheap KLH Bassbite III

Don't see a way to connect the two with the connections I have.  HEP ME!!

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated so I can make the wife happy and enjoy Christmas moives :-))

Thanks in advance

Chuck

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 21 2009 - 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilhelm 
Low level input with a left and right plug-ins
Are these RCA type connections? If so, a cable from the "audio out subwoofer" you mentioned, to either one of those RCA connections should work. You can use a "Y" adapter at the sub end, and connect to both RCA connectors, but it's not necessary.

Then, in the receiver's setup menus, set the subwoofer to "ON" or "YES", whichever wording they use. For that sub, I'd say set the crossover for it to about 120 or 150.
Connect the speakers to the receiver, not the subwoofer.

Not being familiar with that sub, and not finding a picture of it, this is my suggestion. Maybe someone more familiar with that sub will chime in.
Good luck!

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   cwwilhelm

cwwilhelm

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 21 2009 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for the suggestion.  Can't locate my digital camera, but took this with my iPhone.  Not a very good pic, but thought it might help.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,708 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 21 2009 - 01:13 PM

Connect a subwoofer cable (or any 75 ohm digital coaxial/composite video cable) from the "Audio Out-Subwoofer" port on the Sony to the "Low Level Input-Mono (L) port on the KLH and change the settings in the receivers speaker setup menu (or run the Sony's automatic setup routine-making sure it sets your speakers to "Small") as Ed suggested.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   cwwilhelm

cwwilhelm

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 21 2009 - 01:48 PM

Thanks to both of you. 

Will give that a try and then load up the boat and go fishing :-)))

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Blu4ever

Blu4ever

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted December 21 2009 - 01:56 PM

I also agree with earlier posts...run a single rca line out to the sub and at the sub use a "Y" connector (1 female and 2 males) and insert them into the two rca jacks (red & white).in your pic.

And with the Y  adapter u gain +6db on the subs output. Set your speakers to small and crossover at the receiver to no more than 120.  On the sub if it has a frequency setting turn it to max b/c the receiver sets the cr frequency and the volume/gain to about 60-65%..  Try it and let us know what happens..

Good Luck!

Sony STR-DH700 Receiver
Sony Bravia KDL46VL160 LCD 1080p 120 HZ & KDF-EA42A10 LCD 720p RPTV
Klipsch Synergy B2 fronts
Klipsch Synergy C2 center
Klipsch Synergy S2 surrounds Sony 10' sub, Sony DVP-NS300 DVD/CD Player LG BD370 Bluray,  Pace TDX-787X HD cable box, Nintendo WII