Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor - Heroes vs. Villians (season 20) official discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
514 replies to this topic

#501 of 515 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,477 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 05:34 AM

That's a shame, I hoped it was part of a long interview.  Also, I don't have facebook.

Thank for the info, Patrick.

#502 of 515 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,966 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 08:26 AM

All you have to do is let Facebook sell just a little bit of your privacy, and you can have all the Facebook you can handle!

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#503 of 515 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyC 

BTW, Richard Hatch has commented on the S20 finale. I don't know that there's any better authority on how to play this game, and this is his spot-on take:

Hard to take anything seriously from a guy who couldn't figure out that he was supposed to pay taxes on his $1 million prize that the whole country knew he won.

#504 of 515 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,477 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 04:21 AM

Sure, Hatch is a legendary player and a student of the game, but he tried to dodge his taxes so none of his opinions matter /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

I need a script to automatically insert eyerolls whenever I respond to Lockwood.

#505 of 515 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,136 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 24 2010 - 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

Sure, Hatch is a legendary player and a student of the game, but he tried to dodge his taxes so none of his opinions matter /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

I need a script to automatically insert eyerolls whenever I respond to Lockwood.

Now, if he could have gotten away with it, that would have made him the greatest player ever.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#506 of 515 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,477 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 05:23 AM

But how would we know he got away with it if he got away with it?

#507 of 515 ONLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,191 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 24 2010 - 07:45 AM

If he got away with it and we all knew about it, he would be even GREATER!

Seriously, though - he was the first winner and was an innovator by default, but was he really "legendary"? I think he's perhaps a bit overrated. He won 4-3, and won one of those jury votes on a random number guess.

#508 of 515 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,136 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 24 2010 - 08:05 AM

To be honest, when I first heard Hatch's argument on Taxes, I thought he had a valid point.  He had assumed (incorrectly) that the $1M prize he received from CBS was "after taxes" and that CBS had paid it out as a post-tax amount.

Foolish, but a decent argument.  If he could have won that argument, that CBS had ever let him believe that, that would have been epic :)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#509 of 515 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,477 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Kettell 

If he got away with it and we all knew about it, he would be even GREATER!

Seriously, though - he was the first winner and was an innovator by default, but was he really "legendary"? I think he's perhaps a bit overrated. He won 4-3, and won one of those jury votes on a random number guess.

By default?  That's absurd.  No one else was doing any real gameplay in season one, so you can't presume that the precepts of Survivor would have just shown up that or any other season had it not been for Hatch (especially since it would have been canceled fairly early on).

As for "pick a number" -- there are a lot of people who believe that Buis was just screwing around and intended on voting for Hatch anyway.  And even if it was an honest question, the mere fact that Hatch was in a 50/50 situation after engineering the elimination (and considering how close he was to the very, very bitter Colleen Haskell) was a feat in and of itself.

#510 of 515 ONLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,191 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 24 2010 - 08:54 AM

He was clearly the best of season 1. But I don't think the concept of an alliance was that much of a stretch.

He didn't fair so well in All-Stars, I think if you appear in multiple seasons your strategy should be adaptable enough to go far into the game. It would have been nice to see him on HvV, though.

#511 of 515 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,477 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 09:12 AM

To be fair, none of the past winners fared well in All-Stars.  They were all systematically voted out (well, except for Jenna).

I know it sounds like the concept of the Alliance isn't a stretch, but they couldn't get one going at Pagong, even after they were getting... Pagonged.  I don't think they would have gotten one going at Tagi if it weren't for Richard.  You have to keep in mind that most of the players and the audience were still thinking this was some sort of Survival challenge.  Hatch immediately turned it into a game.

#512 of 515 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

You obviously missed my point, which was that someone who can't even figure out that he needs to pay taxes on $1 million in winnings (or perhaps ask an expert about it) and ends up doing a lot of jail time as a result doesn't fall into the great thinkers category. He hasn't shown much intelligence in recent years, so who cares what he says?

Does anyone really believe no one from the show told his his winning were taxable? He would have gotten a 1099 from them- he could have at least taken it to H&R Block and asked them what it was.

BTW, someone has to win every season, so just because he won the first season, that doesn't make him a genius. Wouldn't it have been easier to win when none of the players had seem it before?

#513 of 515 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 26 2010 - 06:39 AM

Hatch is not Yoda and he didn't invent the game. He was a good player who outsmarted a much less skilled player to win in season 1, but he was a complete joke in the All-Stars season where his "strategy" consisted of brilliant moves like rubbing his wang on Sue.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#514 of 515 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 05:40 PM

His performance in All-Stars has absolutely no bearing on how well he plays the game. Maybe in the first season, he was essentially shooting fish in a barrel, but I think a player of his sort would do well in any season (although obviously the Richard Hatch has a reputation that precedes him...just like how Russell Hantz will be an early boot when he plays again--unfortunately, it's when, not if).

Richard's game has really become oversimplified over the years. He actually wasn't even the first player to propose alliances but that's his legacy, and over the ensuing years a bunch of armchair critics have concluded that if he hadn't done it, someone else would've, thus Rich is overrated. If anything, the guy's underrated because nobody ever acknowledges how great a social game he had. (Not that Russell fans will care about that.) Even in All-Stars, his fellow players seemed to like him and he almost avoided being the first boot on his tribe.

#515 of 515 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted May 28 2010 - 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

To be honest, when I first heard Hatch's argument on Taxes, I thought he had a valid point.  He had assumed (incorrectly) that the $1M prize he received from CBS was "after taxes" and that CBS had paid it out as a post-tax amount.

Foolish, but a decent argument.  If he could have won that argument, that CBS had ever let him believe that, that would have been epic :)

That's the same excuse I would of used had I been caught in hopes of receiving a lesser penalty with interest :)