Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NO SOUND REAR SPEAKERS SONY333ES

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael_V

Michael_V

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted December 20 2009 - 02:45 AM

Just set up my parents new plasma and noticed there isn't any sound coming from the rear speakers in their HT. I ran Avia 5.1 speaker identificaton to confirm. I can barely hear the test phrases ("right surround" then "left surround" through the subwoofer). I also switched the wires and verified that the speakers do work (sent the center channel signal to each rear to test). The Sony 333ES's display shows all five speakers. It is set to AFD and the blue light is on. I am at my wits end! Can anyone think of what I might be missing???

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 20 2009 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_V 
 I can barely hear the test phrases ("right surround" then "left surround" through the subwoofer).
You have the surrounds connected to the subwoofer, instead of the receiver? If so, try connecting them to the receiver. Also, you probably need to calibrate the speakers. Ideally, you need an SPL meter, like the one Radio Shack sells. But, you can adjust by ear, to make sure the speakers are working. In the receiver's setup menus, you need to set the distances for each speaker, and adjust the "levels" for each speaker. Level adjustment is getting the volume of each speaker to be the same, at the sitting position. Speakers further away, will be set louder, to be the same at the seat. This is why an SPL meter is needed, to get it right (since receiver doesn't have built-in calibrating feature).

Also, something to check.......... if the receiver has buttons on front for speakers "A" and "B", make sure it's on "A". Double check wiring of speakers for correct phase (+ to + and - to -). If all else fails, reset receiver to factory settings (manual will tell how), and start over again, setting it up. Resetting will put it back like it was, when it was unpacked from the box, when originally bought. That should put things right, with the speakers, unless there's a problem with the receiver.

If you have the speakers connected to the receiver, but hearing them come from the subwoofer, I'm not sure what to say. You connected the sub into the "Pre-Out" connection, instead of the 5.1 Ch. Input connection, right? Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Good luck!

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael_V

Michael_V

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted December 20 2009 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply! Speakers are connected to the receiver. Sound from the sub due to high crossover (100). Set to A. I do calibrate with an SPL meter. Polarity is correct. Will try resetting the receiver...