What's new

Blu Ray player (Onkyo BD507 or Samsung BDP1600 or LG BD390) - need help please (1 Viewer)

dobbu

Grip
Real Name
Venkatesh Natarajan
i am getting a package deal with Onkyo 807 (Okyo BD507 for $100); hard to pass; however i hear that Samsung and LG can stream netflix. Is Onkyo better to should i pass the $100 offer and choose Samsung or LG.

please share your thoughts;

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Samsung and LG are probably better players. The Onkyo is most likely a re-badge of another product, but Netflix streaming has had it's issue's like not being able to keep up. The movie pauses as it wait's for the streaming to catch up. Things should improve, however.

But the 1600 also streams Pandora and LG has other capabilities as well. It all boils down to whether you would actually use these features because even if the Onkyo is a Funai re-badge, as I suspect it is, $100 isn't a bad price. But I just bought my brother a 1600 for $149. I might have paid $100 for the Onkyo instead if it was available to me for that price but my brother is kind of a computer geek (but just kind of) so I wanted to get him one with streaming. In the long run you're probably better off with the Samsung or LG (do you really need the 390 or would the 370 be good enough?).

dobbu

Grip
Real Name
Venkatesh Natarajan
thank you; i am going to settle for the LG 370 with Onkyo 807; appreciate the quick response.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In case you haven't already gone to the store, you might want to consider Best Buy's "house brand" Insignia NS-WBRDVD which decodes the HD audio formats, supports Netflix streaming, reads files from various recordable media and USB drives, supports BD Live and has built-in wireless networking. Best Buy has it on sale this week for $119.99 - $10 less than I paid for one the last time it was on sale. (Pre-Black Friday.) Regular price is $179.99 and you'd probably have to spend $50 more than that to match its features.

Netflix streaming is more dependent on your internet bandwidth than your player with any of these machines, BTW. I've seen reports of people having trouble watching movies with various brands, and it invariably turns out that they're on the carrier's cheapest DSL plan or that they're surfing the web while watching the movie, while a spouse is in the next room streaming a radio station and the kid is playing an on-line game upstairs. Personally I've never experienced any of the describe pauses or freezes. But then, when I watch a movie I generally watch the movie, and I live alone. (These last two facts may be related.)

Regards,

Joe

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would stay away from samsung blu ray players. I head they are nothing but trouble. I would recommend the roku machine for netflix.

Jacob

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The Onkyo DV-BD507 is a Funai made player and certainly worth $100 but I would only pick it up for use as a secondary player, not the primary system, nor would I pick it up to resell because you probably couldn't break even. The LG BD390 is far and away the best player of the group mentioned in my opinion. I have last year's BD300 and it has worked great. I don't use Netflix streaming so I can't comment on that but I do use YouTube streaming and that has worked great. I also own Samsung players and LG has done a better job with support and the LG player just performs better than comparable Samsung players. If the LG BD390 feature set is consistent with what you want, I would say buy it with confidence.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks