What's new

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That thing was hilarious in spots. It also was pretty perceptive as to what went wrong with TPM.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Pure genius! More well thought out and better written than the movie it's critiquing. Like Sam, I haven't watched my DVDs since basically I bought them (and yes, I saw them for what they were at the time but with no OOT I had to satisfy my Star Wars on DVD jones with the prequels).

I remember some of the argument PT defenders had back then: fans of the original were too old, too attached to the past, weren't the target audience, didn't understand the levels of complexity in TPM, oh, and it was aimed at kids. Time would vindicate the film.

Well guess what? It's ten years since TPM was released. Many of my friends now have kids who are at the age I was when the OOT was out and not a single one of them has PT toys or likes the PT films. It's not that the kids don't like the PT in the way that we loved the OOT. It's that they don't even register the PT as good films worth watching.

Time hasn't vindicated the film. Time has exposed it for what it was. A poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted (despite having three top-notch leads in Portman, MacGregor and Neeson) film being masked by a lot of special effects that the creator himself, twenty years prior, said should never get in the way of a good story.

And it only took a psychopathic murderer to encapsulate it all and put it on YouTube! What a great world we live in!

And in all seriousness, despite the goofy parts of the documentary, it is spot on in its analysis of what makes genre films great and its exposure of how TPM fails to provide any of those elements.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Wow it's 10 years already? We are getting old. No special event organized by the Lucasfilm for the tenth anniversary? Aren't you going to celebrate the anniversary? /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
Well guess what? It's ten years since TPM was released. Many of my friends now have kids who are at the age I was when the OOT was out and not a single one of them has PT toys or likes the PT films. It's not that the kids don't like the PT in the way that we loved the OOT. It's that they don't even register the PT as good films worth watching.
Well my anecdotal evidence is different than yours. My own kids love TPM and watch it quite often. And all the kids at my daughter's school (particularly the boys) love Star Wars, particularly the PT.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
FAR more entertaining than the film itself. I had really forgotten how awful it is.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I only sat through the first few minutes of the commentary. I couldn't stand his goofy voice. I still like the Star Wars story and I enjoy TPM. I agree that it could have done quite well with out Jarjar though. Padme's speach stating that "I was not elected to watch my people die while this is discussed in a committee" is in my opinion more powerful than "You can't handle the truth" (but is far less useful to quote. :)) I think any fantasy movie can be picked apart fairly easily if one spends the time doing those things. Look at how many times Froto dies in LOTR or how many time the kids in HP get into a situation and a new spell conveniently saves them.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy. But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars

Star Wars is a very big deal for kids, but it is the cartoon they know.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it was 1999, this would be funny. Since it's 2009, it's just sad that there's someone whose life is so empty that they spent hours of their life making a video to cry about a decade old movie. If someone didn't like it, they didn't like it but it's time to move on and find something that they do like.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy. But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars/img/vbsmilies/htf/chatter.gif
Star Wars is a very big deal for kids, but it is the cartoon they know.
Then why does my 3 year old boy want to recreate the TPM duel every night before he goes to bed?! LOL

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Bad parenting?? /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
Touche. :) However, and trust me on this one, I did not influence him one bit in his love for TPM. I let him watch it and it naturally grew on him. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Atkins /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace#post_3640102
I let him watch it and it naturally grew on him. :)
Let him watch it? /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by TravisR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If it was 1999, this would be funny. Since it's 2009, it's just sad that there's someone whose life is so empty that they spent hours of their life making a video to cry about a decade old movie. If someone didn't like it, they didn't like it but it's time to move on and find something that they do like.
This is about how I feel. There's no amount of complaining or critiquing that's going to change it. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace#post_3640084

If it was 1999, this would be funny.
I've been around HTF long enough to know that for some people, there's never a good time to ridicule the PT--not now, not 5 years ago, not 10 years ago. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace#post_3640083
The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy. But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars/img/vbsmilies/htf/chatter.gif
Same here.
The analysis videos are bang on.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm assuming the people who are suggesting this is an unwarranted criticism are NOT among the group who felt like their best childhood memories were tainted or murdered by TPM? =p From 1977-1988 or so I lived and breathed Star Wars. TPM and its ham-fisted tax revolt and disgusting midiclorians felt like a knife stuck in my childhood....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks