Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#1 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 18 2009 - 01:20 PM

http://www.slashfilm...phantom-menace/

A MUST SEE

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 18 2009 - 04:20 PM

Man, I have not seen my DVDs in years!

#3 of 423 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted December 18 2009 - 05:40 PM

That thing was hilarious in spots. It also was pretty perceptive as to what went wrong with TPM.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 423 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted December 18 2009 - 05:49 PM

Pure genius! More well thought out and better written than the movie it's critiquing. Like Sam, I haven't watched my DVDs since basically I bought them (and yes, I saw them for what they were at the time but with no OOT I had to satisfy my Star Wars on DVD jones with the prequels).

I remember some of the argument PT defenders had back then: fans of the original were too old, too attached to the past, weren't the target audience, didn't understand the levels of complexity in TPM, oh, and it was aimed at kids. Time would vindicate the film.

Well guess what? It's ten years since TPM was released. Many of my friends now have kids who are at the age I was when the OOT was out and not a single one of them has PT toys or likes the PT films. It's not that the kids don't like the PT in the way that we loved the OOT. It's that they don't even register the PT as good films worth watching.

Time hasn't vindicated the film. Time has exposed it for what it was. A poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted (despite having three top-notch leads in Portman, MacGregor and Neeson) film being masked by a lot of special effects that the creator himself, twenty years prior, said should never get in the way of a good story.

And it only took a psychopathic murderer to encapsulate it all and put it on YouTube! What a great world we live in!

And in all seriousness, despite the goofy parts of the documentary, it is spot on in its analysis of what makes genre films great and its exposure of how TPM fails to provide any of those elements.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#5 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 18 2009 - 10:30 PM

Wow it's 10 years already? We are getting old. No special event organized by the Lucasfilm for the tenth anniversary? Aren't you going to celebrate the anniversary? /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

#6 of 423 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted December 19 2009 - 01:08 AM

Well, at least The Clone Wars TV series is good!

#7 of 423 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

Well guess what? It's ten years since TPM was released. Many of my friends now have kids who are at the age I was when the OOT was out and not a single one of them has PT toys or likes the PT films. It's not that the kids don't like the PT in the way that we loved the OOT. It's that they don't even register the PT as good films worth watching.

Well my anecdotal evidence is different than yours. My own kids love TPM and watch it quite often. And all the kids at my daughter's school (particularly the boys) love Star Wars, particularly the PT.

#8 of 423 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 03:21 AM

FAR more entertaining than the film itself.  I had really forgotten how awful it is.

#9 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 04:05 AM

Cool, glad you guys liked it.  Wasn't sure this old a film would get this much discussion =p

#10 of 423 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 04:21 AM

I only sat through the first few minutes of the commentary. I couldn't stand his goofy voice. I still like the Star Wars story and I enjoy TPM. I agree that it could have done quite well with out Jarjar though. Padme's speach stating that "I was not elected to watch my people die while this is discussed in a committee" is in my opinion more powerful than "You can't handle the truth" (but is far less useful to quote. :)) I think any fantasy movie can be picked apart fairly easily if one spends the time doing those things. Look at how many times Froto dies in LOTR or how many time the kids in HP get into a situation and a new spell conveniently saves them.

#11 of 423 ONLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 19 2009 - 04:26 AM

The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy.  But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars

Star Wars is a very big deal for kids, but it is the cartoon they know.

Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#12 of 423 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,311 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 19 2009 - 04:28 AM

If it was 1999, this would be funny. Since it's 2009, it's just sad that there's someone whose life is so empty that they spent hours of their life making a video to cry about a decade old movie. If someone didn't like it, they didn't like it but it's time to move on and find something that they do like.

#13 of 423 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer 

The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy.  But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars/img/vbsmilies/htf/chatter.gif

Star Wars is a very big deal for kids, but it is the cartoon they know.
Then why does my 3 year old boy want to recreate the TPM duel every night before he goes to bed?! LOL

#14 of 423 ONLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 19 2009 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Atkins ">
Then why does my 3 year old boy want to recreate the TPM duel every night before he goes to bed?!
Bad parenting?? 
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#15 of 423 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 05:36 AM

Quote:

Bad parenting?? /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
Touche. :) However, and trust me on this one, I did not influence him one bit in his love for TPM. I let him watch it and it naturally grew on him. :)

#16 of 423 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Atkins 

I let him watch it and it naturally grew on him. :)
Let him watch it?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

#17 of 423 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

If it was 1999, this would be funny. Since it's 2009, it's just sad that there's someone whose life is so empty that they spent hours of their life making a video to cry about a decade old movie. If someone didn't like it, they didn't like it but it's time to move on and find something that they do like.

This is about how I feel. There's no amount of complaining or critiquing that's going to change it. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

#18 of 423 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

If it was 1999, this would be funny.

I've been around HTF long enough to know that for some people, there's never a good time to ridicule the PT--not now, not 5 years ago, not 10 years ago.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#19 of 423 ONLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 12:21 PM

Quote:

The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy.  But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars/img/vbsmilies/htf/chatter.gif

Same here.

The analysis videos are bang on.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#20 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted December 19 2009 - 03:11 PM

I'm assuming the people who are suggesting this is an unwarranted criticism are NOT among the group who felt like their best childhood memories were tainted or murdered by TPM?  =p  From 1977-1988  or so I lived and breathed Star Wars.  TPM and its ham-fisted tax revolt and disgusting midiclorians felt like a knife stuck in my childhood....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users