Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Complicated Comcast cable box hookup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   catlover0908

catlover0908

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted December 17 2009 - 02:01 AM

The following diagrams have been very helpful...

http://www.comcast.c...or_game_vcr.pdf

http://www.comcast.c...atch_analog.pdf

What I want to know is...is it possible to hook up 2 cable boxes (so I can watch one digital channel and record another digital channel) using a splitter/A-B switch AND an RF modulator, plus a VCR and DVD player...

The first diagram shows using a RF modulator, the second shows a splitter, but can I use both? Any diagrams would be a great help...

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 17 2009 - 03:16 AM

What connection(s) are on the back of your TV?  Does it only have one screw-in F-Type connector, or are there any additional inputs (red/yellow/white)?

If I understand things correctly, you have two sources, (cable and DVD), and you want to be able to record one cable channel while watching another.  Am I missing anything?

Have you considered upgrading your two digital cable boxes to a single box with a built-in DVR?  That would vastly simplify things and eliminate the need for the VCR.

As to your original question, I believe you can combine the two configurations shown in the diagrams if you insert the RF modulator (shown in the first diagram) in between the output from the splitter and the input on the TV in the second diagram.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   catlover0908

catlover0908

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted December 17 2009 - 03:35 AM

This is the best step-by-step I've seen for what I want to do, straight from the Comcast website. So my question is, at what point do I insert the RF modulator?

Option 2: Watch & Record Independently
This configuration enables you to record one channel while watching another.  This flexibility may require two (2) converter boxes, a splitter, and one A/B switch.  There is an additional monthly charge for this option if converters are required.

[*]Connect the wires so that the cable signal passes from the main cable into your splitter[*]Connect one wire from the splitter outputs to the input of one converter box[*]Connect the other wire from the splitter outputs to the second converter box[*]Connect a wire from your first converter to the RF input of your VCR[*]Connect a wire from the RF output on your VCR to your A/B switch[*]Connect a wire from your second converter directly to the A/B switch, and then to your TV