What's new

2010 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Here is the tentative release schedule for 2010. All dates are subject to change...

JANUARY 1st -N/A 8th -“Daybreakers” (Lionsgate) -“Youth in Revolt” (Weinstein/Dimention) 15th -“The Book of Eli” (WB) -“Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil” (Weinstein Co.) -“The Lovely Bones” (DreamWorks/Paramount) wide release -“The Spy Next Door” (Lionsgate) 22nd -“Legion” (Sony) -“The Tooth Fairy” (Fox) 29th -“Edge of Darkness” (WB) -“When in Rome” (Disney) FEBRUARY 5th -“Dear John” (Sony) -“From Paris with Love” (Lionsgate) -“I Love You, Phillip Morris” (Freestyle Releasing) 12th -“Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” (Fox) -“The Prophet” (SPC) -“Valentine’s Day” (WB) -“The Wolfman” (Universal) 19th -“Shutter Island” (DreamWorks/Paramount) 26th -“Cop Out” (WB) -“The Crazies” (Overture Films) -“Takers” (Sony) MARCH 5th -“Alice in Wonderland” (Disney) -“Brooklyn’s Finest” (Overture Films) 12th -“The Back-Up Plan” (CBS Films) -“Green Zone” (Universal) -“Our Family Wedding” (Fox Searchlight) -“Remember Me” (Summit Entertainment) -“She’s Out of My League” (Paramount) 19th -“The Bounty Hunter” (Sony) -“Hot Tub Time Machine” (MGM) -“Hubble 3D” (WB) -“Last Night” (Miramax) -“The Runaways” (Apparition) -“Season of the Witch” (Lionsgate) 26th -“Clash of the Titans” (WB) -“How to Train Your Dragon” (DreamWorks/Paramount) APRIL 2nd -“Diary of a Wimpy Kid” (Fox) -“Furry Vengeance” (Summit Entertainment) -“The Last Song” (Disney) -“Repo Man” (Universal) -“Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too?” (Lionsgate) 9th -“Date Night” (Fox) -“The Losers” (WB) 16th -“Death at a Funeral” (Sony) -“Kick-Ass” (Lionsgate) -“MacGruber” (Universal) -“Piranha 3D” (Dimention/Weinstein Co.) 22nd (Thursday) -“Oceans” (Disney) 23rd -“Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps” (Fox) 30th -“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (New Line/WB) MAY 7th -“Iron Man 2” (Marvel/Paramount) 14th -“Letters to Juliet” (Summit Entertainment) -“Robin Hood” (Universal) 21st -“Shrek Forever After” (DreamWorks/Paramount) 28th -“Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” (Disney) -“Sex & the City 2” (New Line/WB) JUNE 4th -“Killers” (Lionsgate) -“Marmaduke” (Fox) 11th -“The A-Team” (Fox) -“Get Him to the Greek” (Universal) -“Karate Kid” (Sony) 18th -“Footloose” (Paramount) -“Jonah Hex” (WB) -“Toy Story 3” (Pixar/Disney) 25th -“Grown Ups” (Sony) 30th (Wednesday) -“The Twilight Saga: Eclipse” (Summit Entertainment) JULY 2nd -“Knight & Day” (Fox) -“The Last Airbender” (Paramount) 9th -“Despicaple Me” (Universal) -“Predators” (Fox) 16th -“Inception” (WB) -“The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” (Disney) 23rd -“Dinner for Schmucks” (DreamWorks/Paramount) -“Salt” (Sony) 30th -“Beastly” (CBS Films) -“Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore” (WB) -“Little Fockers” (Universal) -“Morning Glory” (Paramount) AUGUST 6th -“The Other Guys” (Sony) -“Step Up 3D” (Disney) 13th -“The Expendables” (Lionsgate) -“Ramona and Beezus” (Fox) 20th -N/A 27th -“Lottery Ticket” (WB) -“Priest” (Sony) SEPTEMBER 3rd -N/A 10th -“The Town” (WB) 17th -“Flipped” (WB) -“The Roommate” (Sony) -“Warrior” (Lionsgate) 24th -“Guardians of Ga’Hole 3D” (WB) -“You Again” (Disney) OCTOBER 1st -“Alpha & Omega” (Lionsgate) -“Your Highness” (Universal) 8th -“Going the Distance” (WB) -“Secretariat” (Disney) -“The Zookeeper” (MGM) 15th -“Faster” (CBS Films) -“The Social Network” (Sony) 22nd -“The Prisoners” (WB) -“Saw VII 3D” (Lionsgate) 29th -N/A NOVEMBER 5th -“Due Date” (WB) 12th -“Unstoppable” (Fox) 17th (Wednesday) -“Oobermind” (DreamWorks/Paramount) 19th -“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I” (WB) 24th (Wednesday) -“Burlesque” (Sony) -“Red Dawn” (MGM) -“Repunzel” (Disney) DECEMBER 10th -“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” (Walden Media/Fox) 17th -“Tron: Legacy” (Disney) -“Yogi Bear” (WB) 22nd (Wednesday) -“The Green Hornet” (Sony) -“Gulliver’s Travels” (Fox) -“Life as We Know It” (WB)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Most excited for:
Shutter Island
Clash of the Titans
Kick-Ass

Iron Man 2

Robin Hood

Toy Story 3

Inception

The Expendables

Harry Potter

Tron

Is Black Swan a 2010 release?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty uninspiring lineup, IMHO. Looks like the year of 80s remakes.

My anticipation list looks pretty much like Chuck's. Inception probably far and away my most anticipated.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
What's catching my eye:
Originally Posted by TerryRL Here is the tentative release schedule for 2010. All dates are subject to change... -“Daybreakers” (Lionsgate) -“The Lovely Bones” (DreamWorks/Paramount) wide release -“The Wolfman” (Universal) -“Shutter Island” (DreamWorks/Paramount) -“Clash of the Titans” (WB) -“Kick-Ass” (Lionsgate) -“Iron Man 2” (Marvel/Paramount) -“Robin Hood” (Universal) -“Toy Story 3” (Pixar/Disney) -“Inception” (WB) -“The Expendables” (Lionsgate) -“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” -“Tron: Legacy” (Disney)
I'll probably also catch the Nightmare on Elm Street remake and the new Saw movie. Gotta get those trashy horror movies in there.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I was interested in a few of the 2010 releases "Daybreakers" "The Wolfman", until I saw they've been placed in the dumping ground of Winter.

I'm also slightly surprised that "Percy Jackson" is being completely dumped. Sure it's a blatant rip off of Harry Potter, but It's not being released at a kid friendly time of year. Edit: Why is Percy Jackson Listed in February and July?

Hopefully, they'll turn out to be passable at least.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I didn't do a good enough job updating the release schedule before I posted it. The "Cop Out" and 'Percy Jackson' mistakes have been fixed. Thanks for pointing them out to me.

I believe "Black Swan" may end up being moved to 2011. I'm of the opinion that both 2011 and 2012 boast gaudier releases (for the most part) than next year, but I do think 2010 has a solid lineup of movie that will translate into a big year for the studios. It probably won't be as bit as this year was, but still a solid year of business for the industry.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Toy Story 3 = Up
Robin Hood = Public Enemies
Iron Man 2 > Star Trek

Prince of Persia > Wolverine

Inception > ???

Anything >>> Transformers 2

I'll take 2010 easily.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer

Toy Story 3 = Up
Robin Hood = Public Enemies
Iron Man 2 > Star Trek

Prince of Persia > Wolverine

Inception > ???

Anything >>> Transformers 2

I'll take 2010 easily.
but you had to add movies to make your case :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
If they even do a passable job of translating the book into a movie, Diary of a Wimpy Kid should be huge. My son and every one of his friends love the series.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i predict (luv this game ;) Avatar to still hold the box office for the 3rd weekend in a row... =P. i don't think none of the releases from now til then will challenge Avatar, especially considering the snowstorm! plus Christmas holiday! i think there'll be a huge pent-up desire to get away from the family and watch this movie during Christmas weekend. perhaps a repeat of 70m (maybe). then 30-40mil during 1st weekend of 2010. after that... dunno =P. depends on word of mouth.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by flyawayjane

Good list,thank you! I am looking forward to Toy Story3,Iron Man 2!
You're welcome.

JediFonger, regardless of how strong "Avatar" performs, a 2009 holdover will very likely hold the top spot at the weekend box office until the January 15th frame when "The Book of Eli" opens. Still, there is a chance that "The Lovely Bones" could take that slot as it goes into wide release, meaning that there is a possibility that a 2010 release won't open #1 until either the end of January or the beginning of February, depending on how strong films like "Avatar", "Sherlock Holmes", the 'Alvin & the Chipmunks' sequel, and "The Lovely Bones" play through the month.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Here are some branded titles (either by franchise, title, studio, or director), that I am interested in for 2010:

The Wolfman
Clash of the Titans
Iron Man 2
Robin Hood
Shrek Forever After
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Toy Story 3
The Last Airbender
Inception
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
Rapunzel
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I'm sure some original titles will be worth looking at, but I have to wait for trailers/reviews to know what I'll like of them.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm gonna predict lovely bones overtaking avatar. the reason? scifi. scifi as a genre has always been a stigmata in box office, it'll SURPRISE me if this has a LONG run in the cinemas =).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by JediFonger

i'm gonna predict lovely bones overtaking avatar. the reason? scifi. scifi as a genre has always been a stigmata in box office, it'll SURPRISE me if this has a LONG run in the cinemas =).

Not a chance in hell Lovely Bones overtakes AVATAR. In fact, I think Bones is gonna pretty much tank and I wanna see it too. Prepare to be surprised fonger.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
As things stand now, here are the ten films (the "safe bets") that the studios are assuming will be the biggest domestic hits of the year (i.e. the movies with the best chance of topping the $200 million plateau).

(listed alphabetically)

-"Alice in Wonderland"
-"Clash of the Titans"
-"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I"
-"Iron Man 2"
-"The Last Airbender"
-"Little Fockers"
-"Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time"
-"Shrek Forever After"
-"Toy Story 3"
-"The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"

Users who are viewing this thread