What's new

"X-Men Origins: First Class" (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'm conflicted as to whether this is worthy of a thread yet, but It's sounding like this is indeed the next X-film on the horizon, and it's not what I was expecting.

If this is true;

http://screenrant.com/x-men-first-class-bryan-singe-kofi-38335/

Then Brian Singer is directing and it will be a prequel to the X-Men trilogy. I'm not really sure how the logistics of all that will work but it is interesting.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Well I guess we know why Donner made that statement a month or so ago about no plans for Xmen First Class. She was trying to keep the possibility of Singer directing from getting out.

Singer involved has me a bit more optimistic, but Im still being cautious.... it is FOX after all.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
If they are going to bring Singer back, why not just develop a new storyline and make it X-4. Let him mop up some of the mess that X3 left - namely:

* show Cyclops has survived his demise. I mean this was so stupid. The character should be brought back. Nightcrawler could have popped in and saved him at the last minute. Who knows. Some kind of storyline would resolve this.

* show what happens to Xavier. Remember the end credits?

* No Magneto

* Follow up with the Angel character

Why don't they just take Wolverine, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Beast, a few others established in the previous films (along w/ the same actors like Jackman) and move this forward, not back. And add 1 new character if needed (only 1, not 20).

This could be so much better than a prequel. I'm sick of prequels!!!! They try to shoehorn in some "surprise" so that it ties into a future story (of a film that we've already seen) and it often doesn't work.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sure sounds like a prequel to me:

From Variety

Bryan Singer To Direct 'X-Men: First Class'

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118012931.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=vertfilm

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Deeb

If they are going to bring Singer back, why not just develop a new storyline and make it X-4. Let him mop up some of the mess that X3 left - namely:

Part of me just wants him to do the X-Men 3 that people should have gotten instead of that unpleasantness Ratner created :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont blame Ratner for X3. I blame FOX. The studio gave the writters ridiculous guidelines to work with. Singer knew X3 would be Cyclops movie - the studio underestimated the characters importance (which only goes to show how little they understand about the properties they own) and later had said they regretted the decision to knock him off.

All things considered theres alot of X3 I actually like. My issues with it are the stupid deaths the studio forced on the writters. Cyclops, Pheonix and Xavier are wasted, and were forced to watch another movie focusing on wolverine. They would have been better off making Cyclops disappear for the film, having him take off somewhere (Antartica) rather just just arbitrarily kill off such a important character. I also give Ratner credit for coming into a pretty chaotic situation,with a very short deadline and getting the film done with the confines which he had to work with.

I actually liked the Cure storyline and enjoyed the performances by most of the minor characters - Beast, Juggernaut, Kitty Pryde,Iceman, Pyro, Mystique, Angel and the like.Which shows that a Xmen movie doesnt need Wolverine to work. The characters are interesting enough to support Xmen films. Its too bad the studio doesnt hav faith in the characters. There are other Xmen besides Wolverine.Problem is movie wolverine isnt as interesting as the comic book character was (at least when I was reading Xmen back in the day). And even during what most people will agree was the books best run - the Claremont Byrne years - the character was used in moderation. It wasnt until the Hellfire Club and Wendigo stories that Wolverine really came into the spotlight.

Most of the most interesting characters have already been used. My hope is they concentrate on the CHARACTERS, using less of them.

For First Class I like to see young Cyclops, Beast, Storm and Jean Grey and how they become a family and find a home at Xaviers school - maybe with Blob (already established) Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as the main baddies. A prequel also means Magneto in a major role.

You have alot of years that predated the first Xmen film, so alot can be done. If Fox stays out of hte damn way and gives the creative team freedom to work, Im willing to give First Class a chance.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/12/bryan-singer-xmen-first-class-jack-the-giant-killer-q-and-a.html

Very interesting nonetheless

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
With Singer heading this one up I doubt I'll see it, his films fail to impress me on just about every level.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nope, I didn't. I put the X-men films near the bottom of the comic-book films list.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
But then why would you care about another X-Men film?

But your answer compelled me to come up with a ranking of comic book films. Difficult for me since I don't always know what films came from comic books. So my list is more of the obvious ones I expect. My ranking of live-action comic book films would go something like this (best to worst).

X-Men 2
X-Men 1
Batman (Tim Burton)
Batman: The Dark Knight (New one)
Batman Begins (New one)
Blade Trinity
Batman Returns (Tim Burton)
Superman Returns
edit: Iron Man
...then there's a big drop in quality and the list would continue with...
Spiderman series
Blade
Blade II
Daredevil
Elektra
X-Men 3
The Hulk (Ed Norton remake)
Ghost Rider
Watchmen (so much wasted potential, so much tedium!)
The Hulk (Ang Lee disaster)
Fantastic Four

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just found a wikipedia entry on what films came from comics, and I was surprised to see that Constantine and The Crow came from comic books. I'm going to guess that they were graphic novels more than they were comic books. Both those films were very good, the latter especially. V for Vendetta, another graphic novel that made an outstanding film. Men in Black is listed as being a comic book too, but I doubt it resembled the movies much.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Constantine came from a comic series called Hellblazer, which was a spinoff of the Swamp Thing comic series (in the pages of which John Constantine debuted).

Ron can answer for himself, but you mention Superman Returns and that illustrates (for me) how one could not like a particular movie and still enjoy the subject matter enough to hold out hope for future entries. I would probably put Iron Man as the top comic movie for me, possibly followed by the Dark Knight and the second Spider-Man. I liked the first X-Men, but not so much the second. I didn't bother with 3 or Wolverine Origins.

Others you might not suspect are adaptations of comic books:
Ghost World
Surrogates
30 Days of Night
Okay, I can't think of any more. But, there are quite a few that have the potential to surprise. I didn't know Surrogates was a comic book adaptation until after it was released.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My list would be like this:

The Dark Knight
Superman
Batman Begins
Spiderman2
Xmen2
Watchmen Dir Cut
Superman Returns
Iron Man
The Rocketeer (which Im STILL waiting for a decent HV release of)
Spiderman

Greg, dont forget about Road To Perdition.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Rather than list my favorites (the majority of which are from this past decade) I'll just saw the last 10 years have been an embarrassment of riches for a comic book/movie nerd like myself. And in quality as well as quantity.
Superman Returns was one of the few I vehemently disliked and I lay just about all the blame at Singers feet.
OTOH, I have to give Singer huge props for the first X-men film, which in the wake of a more action filled sequel, doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. That film was strong enough to kick off 10 years of mostly high quality, imaginative work from loads of talented people.

I'm feeling apathetic about the prospect of First Class, but I do want to thank Singer for getting the ball rolling on 10 good years (not that he's gonna be reading this).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Will_B

But then why would you care about another X-Men film?
What, I cannot post negative comments about a film, or a franchises sequel / prequel? Am I only supposed to post positive comments?

As for listing good / bad comic book films. All I'd say is the X-Men and Spider Man films are at the bottom of my list, the worst of the comic book films.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Paul Scott, Id be interested to see youre top10. (BTW I think you and I are the only people on the planet who liked Ang Lees Hulk and it just missed my top10)

Ron, You didnt like Spiderman2? What about it didnt you like?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
So now this film has a release date June3, 2011, which is only 13 months away.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44941

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by JonZ

Paul Scott, Id be interested to see youre top10. (BTW I think you and I are the only people on the planet who liked Ang Lees Hulk and it just missed my top10)

Ron, You didnt like Spiderman2? What about it didnt you like?

Oh, sorry for such a late response. As for the Spidy films, I though the casting was terrible and the movies un-engaging with actions sequences that were for the most part boring. Casting Tobey Maguire as Spider Man was not a good choice IMO...too bland of an actor.

I just found the X-Men films and Spidy films mediocre at best, in pretty much every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks