Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Days of Heaven (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,253 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image 
Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,198 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 16 2009 - 10:32 AM

I was this close to opening my old dvd.

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 12:32 PM

I never bothered getting the Criterion DVD because I always felt that it would be a likely candidate for a Blu-ray. I'm glad I waited.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted December 17 2009 - 05:46 AM

February is going to be a fantastic (and expensive) month for Criterion Blu-rays!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted December 20 2009 - 05:20 PM

This announcement makes me so happy! Days of Heaven is one of my favorite films, and one of the films that inspired me to make my own short films. This will be my first Blu Criterion purchase.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,049 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 22 2009 - 06:24 AM

I want to pick this up for two reasons:
1. It's Criterion; and
2. To remember what the area around my home town looked like in 1977-78. I actually remember going out to the area where the house was built, as well as when the person who bought the house moved it to a new location. What a gorgeous piece of architecture.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 22 2009 - 10:15 PM

The Criterion DVD has some obvious haloing that infects quite a few shots. It is readily noticeable  anytime a figure or object is shot against the open sky- which as fans will know is quite often.
I'm guessing the ringing is 'baked into' the master and will be on the Bd as well, although it's my hope they will  much diminished with the higher resolution.
If Criterion can exorcise them entirely for the Bd...

As eager as I will be to get this, I may try to hold out until June to see if B&N has another sale.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 02:53 AM

Haloing on a DVD doesn't neccessarily mean it's "baked into" the High-Def master.  Many Blue Underground DVDs had obvious haloing, but their Blu-rays have been pretty much absent any trace of edge-enhancement.  In many cases, I think any "haloing" is often added during the HD-to-SD downconversion and/or encoding.

Vincent

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 07:45 AM

I hope that's the case Vincent.
The reason I assumed it might be inherent to the master, is some of the reasons I've heard given for the EE still appearing (though in a much diminished capacity) on many Sony titles, despite that studios seeming highly conscious approach to laying off most of the digital artificial sweeteners.

Also-it seems from the promotional material that the new high def transfer for DOH and other Paramount licensed titles that these are being created under the direction/supervision of Criterion in conjunction with any available creative people from the film (director/cinematographer, etc)- and yet they all still have obvious ringing. It's not like this can't be done for standard def, Mondo Vision, a 2 year old company putting out Zulawski movies on DVD, is able to release films on dvd totally sans all this digital toolbox crap. But they seem to be going in with the  no nonsense mindset from the very start of the process starting with the film transfer. So I have to wonder if that is where some of the problems with the Paramount/Criterion dvds are starting.

Again, I hope you are right and this will all be a moot point come end of March.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Bobby Henderson

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted February 27 2010 - 02:54 PM

One of the first advance reviews of Days of Heaven has appeared at the DVD Beaver website. Gary W. Tooze gives the new Blu-ray his highest recommendation. It will be interesting to read the feedback from others about the new BD.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted February 27 2010 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Henderson 

One of the first advance reviews of Days of Heaven has appeared at the DVD Beaver website. Gary W. Tooze gives the new Blu-ray his highest recommendation. It will be interesting to read the feedback from others about the new BD.
WOW, those caps look good to me. I'm really looking forward to this disc. I still only have the Paramount version. So either Criterion version would be a big upgrade for me.

EDIT: The captures from Bigger Than Life look excellent as well!