Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Blu-Ray players for upscaling SD DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   klipklopp

klipklopp

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 03:31 PM

I am considering a new BluRay player purchase. The top feature I am interested in is the best upscaling of SD DVDs for viewing on an HDTV. Other features I am interested in would include WiFi, a USB port for a pen drive with videos on it, and netflix streaming.

I believe most BluRay players can handle home videos burned on a DVD-R which is a priority as well.

Could anyone give me, say - a top three list of brands or models I should be looking at - and should I be considering a PS3?

Thanks!

Ted

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 06:27 PM

Your top 3 will likely include the Oppo BDP-83 and the PS3.  The PS3 should give you all the features you mentioned so far on top of being a good performer at upscaling DVDs -- not sure if it's still a top competitive for upscaling, but I doubt it lags behind much, if at all.  I haven't used my PS3 for DVDs quite that often, but the Secrets site (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com) did give it a poor grade on their deinterlacing/progressive scan benchmark -- it probably isn't the best at handling certain occasional transfer/encoding problems (in that regard) though I haven't noticed the typical artifacts from such problems.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,083 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 22 2009 - 02:10 AM

FYI.  As a rule of thumb, the BD/DVD players that do  the best job of upscaling SD DVD materials are usually also the best at downscaling 1080p material.  This is useful information for folks out there with 720p displays.

Regards,

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   oedius

oedius

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 22 2009 - 04:25 AM

The Samsung BD-P2500 / 2550 do very good job with it's Reon chip..

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted December 22 2009 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

FYI.  As a rule of thumb, the BD/DVD players that do  the best job of upscaling SD DVD materials are usually also the best at downscaling 1080p material.  This is useful information for folks out there with 720p displays.

Regards,

Totally agree. My front projector is 720p and when I went from a PS3 to the Oppo 83 I noticed a difference right away.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   LD9000

LD9000

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 08:53 AM

Good question --  there are definitely differences in the upscaling between players.  I've been through a few - and here are the ones that stand out to me:

1) Oppo Blu-Ray player -  even the non-Blu Ray Oppos upscale better than any machine I've seen.

2) Panasonic DMP-BD60 -  absolutely incredible Blu-Ray player, and even superior upscaling
3) Pioneer Elite -  any of their Blu-Ray and non-Blu Ray players.  Unfortunately, Pioneer gets a bad rep for slow loading times, and expensive players to boot.  However, standard Pioneer Elite players (not the standard Pioneer players, but their Elite line) upscales just about as good as I've seen anywhere.

If you're looking to save a buck and get some bang -- the Pansonic Blu-Ray players are the way to go.