Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Nick Ray's Bigger Than Life coming March 23, 2010 via Criterion!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,283 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 12:23 PM

Check their site for details but now that Fox has effectively shut down their classics department, licensing their titles is the only way we're going to get them. A handful are Criterion "worthy" but hey Image Entertainment, Anchor Bay or Legend, how about the rest?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 12:36 PM

Interesting!  Maybe they'll get Kazan's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".  I was really psyched to get that when it was on Fox's website, but apparently it's been pulled.  That's certaily Criterion worthy and I could see them releasing a deluxe set with the novel in tow similar to what they did with "Short Cuts" & "The Furies"

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 01:56 PM

Any unreleased Kazan would be welcome. Also, maybe just me, but I'd love to see Joseph L. Mankiewicz's 5 Fingers.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 07:15 PM

Criterion should do an Eclipse set of 1950s Fox adventure films.

On the Threshold of Space
The Roots of Heaven
Seven Cities of Gold
The Big Gamble
Desert Hell
The Way to the Gold

Or melodramas:

The Sound and the Fury
No Down Payment
Bottom of the Bottle
Blue Denim

Or thrillers:

Violent Saturday
23 Paces to Baker Street
Crack in the Mirror
Plunder Road

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,283 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 12:04 AM

Simon, with the exception of the vaguely noir-ish VIOLENT SATURDAY, I can't see any of the titles you mentioned that fit the Criterion mold which tends to identify itself with films displaying an obvious artistry (or artistic bent) rather than pure entertainment.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 16 2009 - 12:11 AM

I have "23 Paces To Baker Street" recorded on my Sky+ (from Channel Four in the UK), it's in 'scope & stereo & looks very good. What we need is a small company to licence titles (in limited numbers) & sell them over the internet, like they do with soundtracks.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,283 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 12:39 AM

Great idea, Billy! Labels like Intrada, Kritzerland, Varese, Prometheus have been putting out limited edition pressings of soundtracks for years (once they're gone, they're gone) and very successfully too in actually building up a market. I don't see why a similar pattern wouldn't work for films. Say, a limited 1,000 pressing of BOY ON A DOLPHIN or BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE should do very well though I suspect the usual suspects would complain about coughing up $24.99 or higher (to ensure a decent profit for the company).