-

Photo
- - - - -

Time Bandits BD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 09:36 AM

DVDBeaver has a review up on the Region B release and it looks good:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/timebandits.htm

This has me wondering about when North America will see a release as well as when we can expect Brazil. Criterion still had the rights to the latter last I checked and they have released some Blu-Ray titles already. Is Brazil on their schedule at this time?

#2 of 34 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted December 16 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hi Jeff.  I read that review, and the screenshots look luscious.  I'm eager to get Time Bandits and Brazil too. 

Doug

#3 of 34 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted February 28 2010 - 11:00 PM

I am looking forward to this one also.  I really liked this one as a kid......  

My DVD Collection

#4 of 34 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 01 2010 - 03:39 AM

I watched this disc with my son Saturday night.  I found it ironic that I was exactly his age when my parents took me to see this in the theater many moons ago. 

Overall, the disc looks good, but there is a lot of scratches and wear on the print used as the source in places.  I quickly got passed this and enjoyed the movie. 

It's always fun to revisit films many years later.  There's so much subtext in this film I missed when I was seven.  And even though the parents are complete asses in this film, how many movies today would
 kill them in the final reel!

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 34 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted March 01 2010 - 07:30 AM

Hopefully, the Region A will use the same excellent source that these BD screencaps came from. It looks much better than I was expecting.

#6 of 34 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,002 posts

Posted March 02 2010 - 09:15 PM

IS there any official word on a Region A release, or is that just speculation?  This is one of my all-time favorite movies, I have several copies of it in various formats including the widescreen Paramount and Criterion laserdiscs, and since I just got a 16x9 TV I got the Anchor Bay special edition DVD since that's out of print.

I might have to get an all-region Blu-Ray player just for Time Bandits if it doesn't come out here, gotta pay off the equipment first though :)

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 34 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,125 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 02:13 AM

I bought the UK disc recently and I'm very happy with it. The film hasn't looked this good since it was first released.

I'd definitely recommend picking up a multi-region blu-ray player. There are a lot of interesting titles available in Europe and Asia that aren't out in region A and may never see the light of day on this side of the world.

And decent players can be had for around $250, some of which even convert PAL-NTSC.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#8 of 34 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 02:30 AM

I second the recommendation to get a multi-region Blu-ray Disc player.  There are ones that can be had for as little as ~$150 (see the Sherwood BDP-5004 thread in the hardware forum for more details).

However, if you have a Panasonic BD player there is a work-around to play many RB and RC discs without even having to purchase another player on some models...

At the warning screen indicating that your player it set to an incompatible region, on most discs you can hit Stop and then hit Top Menu, which will take you right to the root menu of the BD and you can play it properly from there.  This worked with Time Bandits on my Panasonic DMP-BD55.  The only RB BD discs it has not worked on so far are the Optimum Night of the Living Dead and Tartan/Palisades Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.  I believe this has more to do with the software than the hardware region locking implementation.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#9 of 34 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted March 04 2010 - 04:15 PM

Doesn't Anchor Bay still hold the distribution rights for this in North America? If so I hope they do a better job on this than the rest of the shit they've been putting out lately.

#10 of 34 John Stuart

John Stuart

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 10:27 AM

Nice to hear this gem was released on Blu. I hope Brazil comes next. o/

"While technology progresses at the speed of light, it's implementation is filtered through the speed of bureaucracy."

#11 of 34 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 03:21 AM

Here's the official release announcement:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Image_Entertainment/Time_Bandits_Announced_for_Blu-ray/4655

Image is known for their lackluster 1080i discs. I hope they're able to make something more impressive out of this. Time Bandits deserves good treatment.

#12 of 34 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 02 2010 - 11:44 AM

HTF press release: http://www.hometheat...bandits-blu-ray

Currently $12.49 for pre-order at Amazon

#13 of 34 hotrodguy

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts
  • LocationL.A.

Posted June 03 2010 - 07:50 AM

Hey guys,

It's nice but it's not great. Yes, it is a 1080i encode and the HDCAM looks like a film print, dirt and all but still very clear. The audio is DTS-HDMA 5.1 but still displays some slight distortion in the explosions scenes throughout the film. Also included is a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track and a French DD 2.0 track. The picture is 1.78, not the OAR of 1.85 but at least it's not that much of a difference. The only extras are a Terry Gilliam interview and the original trailer. This disc has been encoded in the Java platform so it's very sluggish between actions. Like I said, it's not bad, it's just not great but it is still enjoyable.

Time to play!

#14 of 34 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted June 04 2010 - 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodguy 

Hey guys,

It's nice but it's not great. Yes, it is a 1080i encode and the HDCAM looks like a film print, dirt and all but still very clear. The audio is DTS-HDMA 5.1 but still displays some slight distortion in the explosions scenes throughout the film. Also included is a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track and a French DD 2.0 track. The picture is 1.78, not the OAR of 1.85 but at least it's not that much of a difference. The only extras are a Terry Gilliam interview and the original trailer. This disc has been encoded in the Java platform so it's very sluggish between actions. Like I said, it's not bad, it's just not great but it is still enjoyable.

Thanks for the advance review.  Because I only have the original non-anamorphic DVD, and the BD is only $12.49, it still seems like a worthwhile purchase for me.

Doug

#15 of 34 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted June 04 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well if it is 1080i, then it is safe to say it is not the same transfer as the Region B title. Bummer.

What is it with Image and 1080i anyway? I understand when it comes to concert material or documentaries, but film content should always be 1080p on Blu-Ray. Do they just not have the correct hardware at their disposal to pull this off ?

Originally Posted by hotrodguy 

Hey guys,

#16 of 34 hotrodguy

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts
  • LocationL.A.

Posted June 04 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys,

No, it's not the same transfer as the region B unfortunately. This particular master is the same as the Canadian release.

It all depends on the post house that makes the transfer to HDCAM masters and yes some are 1080i. There are many other BD feature films coming that are 1080p/24. They are getting better.

Time to play!

#17 of 34 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,844 posts

Posted June 05 2010 - 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
However, if you have a Panasonic BD player there is a work-around to
play many RB and RC discs without even having to purchase another
player on some models...

At the warning screen indicating that your player it set to an
incompatible region, on most discs you can hit Stop and then hit Top
Menu, which will take you right to the root menu of the BD and you
can play it properly from there.  This worked with Time Bandits on my
Panasonic DMP-BD55.  The only RB BD discs it has not worked on so
far are the Optimum Night of the Living Dead and Tartan/Palisades
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance .  I believe this has more to do with the
software than the hardware region locking implementation.

------------------------------------------

Hmmm... I have a Panny BD60, but didn't know about this. Has that continued to work fine for you after various firmware updates?

My last 2 DVD players were also capable of bypassing DVD region coding (via remote hack), and I did use that for a handful of titles. But concerns about firmware updates (and the potential that future updates might disable the capability) were virtually non-existent for DVD after the early days of that format (and maybe a brief initial release period for certain players).

If this proves dependable enough for Panny players (and the BD60 in particular), I may add a couple region B locked titles to my next batch of imports from Amazon UK.

Is there some updated list of such verified working titles readily available on the web?

Thanks.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#18 of 34 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,161 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 05 2010 - 01:07 PM

I don't care what IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT wants to release but if you release a Blu in 1080i then I think honestly, it is time to find another job. It sounds harsh but I am not buying a movie that was shot on film and is given a half-a**ed transfer.

Why did they waste their time, and money? This is another case of well it is released in HD on BLU so it must be better than the DVD, just better is NOT enough.

I will just keep watching my Criterion NON anamorphic DVD release.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#19 of 34 TravisD

TravisD

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted June 05 2010 - 01:54 PM

Beaver says 1080p,.....so is it a deinterlaced "source" or is it an interlaced encode(Disc).

I still have the last SE with the included MAP.....and it's progressive...and anamorphic.

"Jolly Jolly Good" - Robin Hood

#20 of 34 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 07:49 AM

Beaver has the Image release up for comparison and it doesn't look good:

http://www.dvdbeaver...timebandits.htm

Region B blows it away.