Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with converting pre-wire to RCA adapter for subwoofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   forgop

forgop

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 03:44 PM

I had my home built in 2002 and had it pre-wired for rear speakers and a run for a subwoofer in the rear wall of my family room.  From what I see, it appears most subs/receivers that I've come across use an RCA cable as the connector of choice.  

Unfortunately, I don't have an RCA input in the wall.  Instead, I have 2 cables, each of them consisting of 4 wires (black/white/red/green).  How can I possibly set this up so I can use my pre-wire?  Thanks for any information you can provide me.  

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 15 2009 - 01:18 AM

You need a passive sub.  Put the sub amp with the rest of your equipment and the sub at the other end of the wire.  What is your budget and we can go from there.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   forgop

forgop

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 12:15 PM

I don't have a set budget, but I don't really want to go overboard either, so I guess I'm looking to know what I'm up against in a budget/medium/high end price range.  I have a preference for Klispch speakers, but with this type of situation, I really have no idea what the heck I'm doing.  My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR707. 

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 01:24 PM

Go to radio shack and buy some solder on male RCA connectors, solder the black wire to the shield and the red to the pin and you now have rca ends.

Its that easy.

~JC

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 25 2009 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen Chandler View Post

Go to radio shack and buy some solder on male RCA connectors, solder the black wire to the shield and the red to the pin and you now have rca ends.

Its that easy.

It's also not shielded and subject to radio interference.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted December 25 2009 - 02:35 PM

I doubt radio interference will be an issue in this application.

~JC

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Peanut123

Peanut123

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 10 2010 - 12:13 AM

Klipsch does make a very good in-wall sub. I actually installed 2 of the dual 8s in a customers house and he fell in love with it. Dont worry about not know what to do. Most of these guys will help you out.
Anything is possible. Understanding how to get there is the problem.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   forgop

forgop

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've opted to do the soldering gun to some female RCA ends. I'd like to find a standard wall cover that I could do it and have it look much nicer. Would Radio Shack carry something like that or is there a good place for stuff like it online?

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   forgop

forgop

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 18 2010 - 09:00 PM

Duplicate