Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My PS3 just went KAPUTS(!!!)...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 06:21 PM

Well, it apparently finally happened to my nearly-2-yo PS3 (like I seem to recall hearing about some significant failure reports before). /img/vbsmilies/htf/furious.gif">

My PS3 seems to have lost its ability to read discs (both BD and DVD as well as CD and the couple PS3 games we have).  I pop in a disc, and it seems to behave like it's trying to read it, but never actually gets anywhere w/ the disc read -- actually, the blue light just stays on solid, and there's no audible disc seeking going on (like normally expected).  Everything else still seems to work fine near as I can tell, except for disc reads.  And since it stopped reading discs, I've tried updating the software from the previously installed v2.70 (that ran fine for a long time) to the latest v3.15, but that didn't help any.

I tried digging up some old threads/posts about this possibly common problem along w/ possible solution(s), but (still) can't get the search function on this Huddler-based site to work right for me.  I do seem to recall Sam (Posten) maybe pointing out a possible solution for a possibly common (and easily fixable?) problem that may have something to do w/ dust collecting inside the PS3 and the need for lens cleaning, but I'm not sure now (and have not been able to locate that post).

Googling didn't seem to come up w/ much of use on the web either.

If I cannot find a quick solution to fix the PS3 itself, I may have to jump on a cheaply (and easily) available Panny BD60 or similar instead (maybe from Costco?), especially since I planned to be home "on vacation" for the last couple weeks of the year w/ a sizeable backlog of BDs to watch (and also recently reactivated my Blockbuster Online rental account too). <br /></span>
<br />
Any help w/ this PS3 problem would be greatly appreciated...<br />
<br />
_Man_<br />
<br />
<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class= Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 07:40 PM

Just tried another google attempt, and seems there is a common problem w/ the PS3 (at least the older ones w/ lots of vents) getting dusty inside and maybe needing the laser's lens cleaned.  The process of disassembling the PS3 and its BD drive to manually clean the lens seems rather involved.  Some seem to advocate using a CD/DVD cleaner disc solution, but not sure how safe that is (compared to actually disassembling/reassembling the whole thing for manual cleaning).

There seems to be a bunch of videos on YouTube for pointers/instructions on how to clean the laser lens.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   CalvinC

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 02:14 AM

Mine just started to do the same thing.  Saturday I sat down to watch Star Trek and boom, nothing.  Same as you.  I hadn't thought of lens cleaning.  I did try the restore and it didn't work.  I figured the laser needed replaced and saw a few places that will do it for around $110 but you have to ship the PS3 to them.  In the mean time I bought the Panny BD60 and I like this so far.  Although I was kind of freaking out on Star Trek with the light flares until I read this was the movie.  Trying to figure what I want to do