Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saint-Saens Symphony #3 Recordings/SACD-DVD-A/CD??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 11 2009 - 05:00 AM

Hi, I am on a Quest to find the ultimate recording and I have narrowed the search so Far to finding a recording done in the Royal Albert Hall or Liverpool Cathedral..

Please I am Only at this time looking to Acquire this Concert at these Places, Mainly because the Organs Are Able to Produce the 16HZ tones I am looking for in this concert..

I have Bought 2 versions already and they have Fell short of what I have heard from a Test CD from HSU..The Concert that was recorded on that TEST cd is NOT Available on Laser Formats :)

In the notes that came with the Munch / Boston Symphony version, it talks about the deepest organ pedal tones being 36.7Hz low D-flat in the poco adagio, and 32.6Hz low C in the Maestro movement.

So as you see the above concert is falling way short of 16hz this is one of the versions I bought and was recorded in 1959'.. The other one was done by the Philadelphia Orchestra..

I would like to get a SACD/DVD-A Multichannel Recording of this Concert but a Stereo CD version will be fine.. Do these recordings done at the above  Royal Albert Hall - or Liverpool Cathedral exist on SACD/DVD-A/CD??

EDIT: I found a Telarc CD that was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.. But I am NOT sure where it was recorded or if it is a live performance??

"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,590 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 09:01 AM

I have two suggestions.  My favorite is a Telarc with Christian Badea and the Royal Philharmonic.  Telarc did a little trickery by using the only suitable (a Casavant Fréres) organ they could find in a venue with matching acoustics, which they found in Naples Florida.  So it is actually recorded on two continents. You might at least give it a try. Otherwise, I would think the organ at Davies Symphony Hall would be up to the task, so you might look into a San Francisco recording.  I don't actually know the specifics of that organ.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Lassiter

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 03:00 AM

John,

I've always been partial to the Telarc with Ormandy and Michael Murray on the organ. How does the Badea Telarc compare to that recording? It's not available as an SACD, is it?  I've really been enjoying the Munch SACD on RCA Living Stereo. I know it doesn't meet the OP's criteria, but I think the liner note description of how the difficult recording was achieved is fantastic. In order for the soundstage of the orchestra to match that of the organ pipes, that spread across the front of the hall, they took the seats out of the front, and spread the orchestra the full width of the organ pipes. I'd never given any thought to that before.

Dan

"I'm a very good man, I'm just a very bad wizard."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,590 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 07:17 AM

Dan,

I've had the Ormandy for years and I seem to recall I do prefer the Badea (both have Michael Murray on Organ) but I couldn't really say for sure why.  It may just come down to the superior Organ.  I have NEVER sensed any clue that the Organ and Orchestra were recorded separately.  The interpretation may be a bit more emotional.  I still have both, so maybe I will compare them.  As far as I know the Badea is not on SACD, but those are both Soundstream recordings, so I don't know how much difference it will make.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,590 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 07:19 AM

Getting back to the OP, I remembered that I have several recordings of the Organ at Davies, and I am quite certain it is suitable for the Saint-Saens 3rd.  I would seek out something with the SFSO.

The Hybrid System

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 14 2009 - 10:53 PM

Well so Far NO Luck Finding Saint-Saens  worthwhile. I had bought another CD and that was worthless :(

I even went the the SFO Website and found a Gem. they havea recording in Davies Hall with some Organ music looked really good definetely getting that after the Holidays.. AS I can Tell now the Telarc is my last hope as I have exhausted most of the Saint Saens Symphonys..on CD/SACD

I might have some luck with an Album but I do NOT own a Decent Record Player :(

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted December 15 2009 - 12:41 AM

I have always had the impression that (one of) the best recordings was of Charles Munch and the BSO. It is not a live recording but I was living in Boston at the time.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 15 2009 - 10:38 AM

Well Actually the Munch Recording is so Far the Best but still does NOT have the 16HZ tone I am looking for :(

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 17 2009 - 01:17 PM

Well I had received the Telarc CD and that was not bad seemed to have the Proper tone. really sounded low.

I had found another Recording done at Davies hall this Should be the One to beat but so far Telarc is the one to be beat  ..;)

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 07 2010 - 10:15 PM

Well it appears I was Wrong about the SACD by the Philadelphia Orchestra. I had Too Setup Bass Management and If I had a Better Sub I would Probally hear the Bass like on the CD's.. I am going to save up for a HSU ULS-15 Sub..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users