Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Are Online discount retailers legit?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 apatel

apatel

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:34 PM

I am about to purchase a Pioneer Elite SC-27, and it's about $2000-$2200 from a local shop like ultimate electronics or best buy.

Alternatively, I could buy it online from 6ave.com, camerakings.com, amdv.com, ecomelectronics.com, pcrush.com, powersellernyc.com, tvcity.ty or centraldigital.com for about $1400.

Most of these sites offer an extended warranty up to 4 or 5 years for $150-$200, and some even say it comes with a US Warranty.

Is this a good deal, and should I worry about any of these retailers?  I'm thinking that spending $1600 may be worth it to get a receiver with 4-5 years of warranty vs. paying $2200+tax for only a 1 or 2 year warranty from a local brick and mortar retailer.

I'm curious if anyone has purchased a high priced item from any of these retailers, and what your experience has been.  

Thank you...

#2 of 4 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 12:00 AM

I wouldn't put much stock in Best Buy's prices, as even Amazon usually beats them.  On the other hand I wouldn't be swayed by a warranty offer from one of the on-line merchants; I'm going to assume they won't be around to honor the warranty.  The only warranty issue that I'd consider is when the manufacturer doesn't consider the merchant an authorized dealer and says they won't honor the warranty.  (I only break this when purchasing from Costco, who backs the products themselves.)

#3 of 4 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,452 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 09:14 AM

6ave is the only one I've ever heard of and even they are dicey.  Give places like onecall.com and newegg.com a try.  Deals on Pioneer seem to be harder to find than Denon and especially Onkyo.  You might try one of those brands instead.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,671 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 12 2009 - 03:49 PM

Here's a list of Pioneer authorized dealers. Pioneer Elites are generally not available on-line but J&R and 6thave sometimes offer them.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users