Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, everybody...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,647 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 10:59 AM

How have things been going? I've been really tied up with a lot of stuff recently, so I haven't had much of a chance to post lately, and I must admit that the new lay-out has been a little confusing to me. I'm still out here, though, writing my articles, working at Wal-Mart and existing day to day.

I was looking at some of my posts from my first year on here (2001-2002) and I have to say that it's like looking at a different person entirely. I was still a teenager, still emotionally unstable, still saying really offensive things...I can't believe I wrote down some of the stuff I did. It's now 2009, and I think I'm a more peaceful person. I've been feeling a lot better, but I think that's due to a mixture of a good psychologist, the right pills and the fact that I'm now well into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I'll be turning 27 on December 22nd.

I guess the question here is: Do you look at the posts from the beginning of your time on here and wonder where your head was at? Progress is a wonderful thing.

So, I'm still alive and I'm still going to be posting. If it isn't as often as I once did, it's not because of you guys or the site or anything...It's because I have a rather busy life. This is always a great place to visit, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

See you on the boards.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 15 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hi, John. Things have been going pretty well for me. I have a job that I love which is better than most people I know.

No, I don't look at my older posts. Why would I put myself through that torture? :)

Keep us updated.

#3 of 15 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,118 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 12:11 AM

Interesting point regarding the post from your teens.  I for one am glad the technology wasn't around to record my musings when I was a teenager.  At the very least I'd consider them a portrait of a starter kit version of myself.

But if they bother you from more than the usual embarrassment of youth sense, why not create another userid?  You wouldn't even have to "conceal" your old identity; but just by separating the two, those posts would represent a closed book.

#4 of 15 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 01:40 AM

Welcome back John.  I sometimes stumble across old postings of mine but they haven't changed dramatically.  I'm 15 years older than you so maybe that has something to do with it.  I agree though there is a certain mellowing and wisdom and sense of perspective that comes with age, particularly when you leave your tumultuous teens behind.  I was pretty childish as a teen and put off my teen angst until I was in my 20's.  I emotionally settled down by my 30's and got reborn when I had my first daughter 4 years ago. 
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#5 of 15 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,653 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 10 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hey John!

You and I both joined the HTF in October 2001.  But whereas you were 18 when you joined, I was already a "seasoned" adult of 42.  I turned 50 earlier this year!

I do, however, run into some of my early postings at the board and still see some growth in maturity...especially when it comes to issues regarding HT knowledge and also how people interact with each other on the internet.  I always contend, though, that the interaction here on the HTF beats the less-than-civilized interaction which can be found on so many other internet forums. 

Now that my kids are young adults I see them do things and see a lot of myself (at that age) in their words and actions.  While it is often true that "youth is wasted on the young," I wouldn't trade my life's experiences and maturity for anything.  We pick up more of it with each passing day.

I'm so glad to hear that your life has been taking so many positive turns over the past few years.  Please don't be a stranger here. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 15 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,647 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 03:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I've noticed that things have changed on here as well. For example, Warner Home Video was once held in VERY high esteem. In recent vintage, though, it appears to have lost a lot of goodwill, and now studios like Sony have started to step up to the plate, at least if I'm reading all the feedback correctly. On a different tack, many 80s movies have been released as well that I never thought would see a DVD release. I'm asking for "Screwballs", "Sping Break" and the "Hardbodies" Collection from my Aunt Janet for Christmas. I'm now awaiting the release of titles like "Valet Girls" and "The Wild Life".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Will it happen? I hope so.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#7 of 15 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,046 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 10 2009 - 06:32 AM

I think I'm going the other way: getting crankier and more argumentative as I get older. I'll look back at my old posts and think, "I was such a smart, young guy. What happened?" /img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif

And it concerns me how all you HTF'ers are a bunch of old farts now. I haven't aged a bit in the past few years...

#8 of 15 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,653 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 10 2009 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

I'll look back at my old posts and think, "I was such a smart, young guy. What happened?"
That's what we've all been wondering, Dave.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#9 of 15 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,046 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 10 2009 - 10:13 AM

It's the encouraging members that bring me back though./img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

#10 of 15 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,653 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 10 2009 - 02:40 PM

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Um...We all just think you're a smart, slightly older guy now.  Yeah.  That's the ticket...

#11 of 15 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 07:34 AM

I hate the fact that when I google my name the first hundred results (at least) are threads from this place. They keep following me around.

#12 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 15 2009 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson 

Interesting point regarding the post from your teens.  I for one am glad the technology wasn't around to record my musings when I was a teenager.  At the very least I'd consider them a portrait of a starter kit version of myself.

But if they bother you from more than the usual embarrassment of youth sense, why not create another userid?  You wouldn't even have to "conceal" your old identity; but just by separating the two, those posts would represent a closed book.

Don't do that HTF will kick your butt for real/

Hi John, I think i've gotten more cynical over the years.

facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 15 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,118 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

Don't do that HTF will kick your butt for real/

I don’t know, HTF management seems to be a pretty reasonable bunch. Well, the owners at least; the moderators seem to have been recruited off the same list as the Inglorious Basterds. (Hey moderators – I’M KIDDING!)
Seriously, I think if you explained the situation to them they’d be okay with it.

#14 of 15 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,502 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 16 2009 - 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell 

I hate the fact that when I google my name the first hundred results (at least) are threads from this place. They keep following me around.
I only see a link or two from HTF by Googling Kevin Hewell, but if you want to remove HTF threads from that vanity search try googling:
Kevin Hewell -hometheaterforum.com

The minus symbol will remove those terms (or sites) from your results.

http://lifehacker.co...e-search-tricks
http://www.googlegui..._reference.html
http://techtracer.co...-search-tricks/

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#15 of 15 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,690 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 20 2009 - 03:16 AM

Quote:
Hi John, I think i've gotten more cynical over the years.

I'm the same way. The older I get, the more cranky and cynical I get. It also doesn't help that I was laid off from the best (and highest-paying by a landslide) job I ever had the end of October (thanks Verizon, you bunch of so-and-so's) and now I have a job where I drive 25 miles further than I was, sit in traffic for 2 to 3 hours every afternoon trying to get home and make $5/hr less than I did. I'm not qualified for health insurance with my new job until March so I'm forking out $980/mo for COBRA coverage for my wife and myself. It also doesn't help that I have already come to hate the new job but can't afford to quit. (If I had it to do all over again, I would have sat on my duff and drawn unemployment for the winter since my unemployment benefit would have been the same I'm making right now.)

I think this may be the first time I've been on HTF since then. Mostly because I get up at 3:30AM to get ready and leave for work and don't usually get home until 5 or later, then I have things to do all the way up until I go to bed between 7 and 8. I can't even remember the last time I sat down to watch a movie. The other day, I was actually starting to think like Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide.

Anyway, maybe next year will be better, I will score some happy pills and I will get more time to visit HTF.

Merry Christmas everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users