Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Scorpion Releasing (new company that offers rare/obscure/campy flicks)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 of 317 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 02:20 AM

Sure,  some romance flicks can certainly be classified as cult, such as these, because nobody's ever heard of them. All I'm saying is, is there a large enough market for quirky, melodramatic love stories in this economic climate to sustain a fledgling distributor that is generally thought of as a horror label? Scorpion is a promising new company that I don't want to see fail because people don't buy the product.

#42 of 317 JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted March 30 2010 - 03:58 AM

Whoever said that Scorpion was "supposed to be" a cult-horror label?  If I remember correctly, their inital press release when they launched said they were an eclectic label handling all genres, from art-films to documentaries to dramas to horror to comedies, etc.  Your perception of what you want them to be is not what they ever said.  The main page on their website indicates their eclectic all-genre motto as well.  http://scorpionreleasing.com/

#43 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 04:25 AM

I was hoping there would be an interview with David Selby (as I haven't seen (or heard) him in anything since Falcon Crest, apart from seeing some post-1990 pics of him on his IMDb page), so I'm chuffed there will be an on camera introduction from him on the Girl in Blue DVD.

#44 of 317 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post

Whoever said that Scorpion was "supposed to be" a cult-horror label?  If I remember correctly, their inital press release when they launched said they were an eclectic label handling all genres, from art-films to documentaries to dramas to horror to comedies, etc.  Your perception of what you want them to be is not what they ever said.  The main page on their website indicates their eclectic all-genre motto as well.  http://scorpionreleasing.com/

All I want Scorpion to be is successful. Nobody said they were "supposed to be horror only". I want these guys to stick around for a long time because nobody else is wiling to release this stuff.They can release exercise videos for all I care but they're going to make more money with horror - it's just the way I see it.

#45 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted June 03 2010 - 09:10 AM

Received my copy of Power Play in the post today. Tested the disc out. The interviews and trailersd played fine, but I had problems playing the movie. It skipped a couple of chapters and went back to the main menu screen. I stopped the playback, opened the disc tray and closed it again. The disc loaded, I went to play the film, and it played fine.

Looking forward to getting Say Hello to Yesterday and The Girl in Blue when they're released in the next couple of months on DVD.

Who owns the rights to these two Gian Maria Volonte films:

Investigation of a Citizen Under Suspicion

& The Assassination (aka The French Conspiracy and Plot)?

#46 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted June 24 2010 - 11:12 AM

Is there a release date yet for the following Scorpion Releasing DVD titles:

Who?

Point of Terror

Girls on the Road

Fools

Nickel Mountain

Legacy

and Georgia Georgia ?

#47 of 317 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted June 24 2010 - 01:16 PM

According to DVDAficionado, WHO streets at 11/30, FOOLS street on 10/26, GIRLS ON THE ROAD and POINT OF TERROR streets on 8/31. No dates listed for the others.

#48 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted June 25 2010 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the release dates update.

Had an email from DeepDiscount to say my copy of Say Hello to Yesterday has shipped. Should arrive in the post in the next 2-3 weeks.

#49 of 317 Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted July 02 2010 - 01:52 AM

They also have "Where the Boys Are '84" listed on their site but there is no release date. Is that coming out soon? There are no pre-order listings on amazon.

#50 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 09:30 AM

Received my copy of Say Hello to Yesterday in the post on Saturday. Tested the disc out and these are my comments:

1.) After the Scorpion Releasing logo it goes straight to the menu screen for Say Hello to Yesterday (Play Feature/Film, Scene Selection and Bonus Features/Extras).

2.) DVD extras on Bonus Features/Extras screen: Audio Commentary, Theatrical Trailer (for Say Hello to Yesterday) and trailers for other Scorpion Releasing DVD titles.

3.) The trailers for other Scorpion Releasing DVD titles are for:

- Voyager

- Fools (hadn't seen the trailer for this film before, and it wasn't on the DVDs for Silent Scream, The Internecine Project and Power Play)

- The Girl in Blue.

4.) The print quality for Say Hello to Yesterday (based on looking at the beginning of the first few chapters only) is very good. Bit of crackling at the beginning, but that's to be expected with an older film title.

#51 of 317 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 12:46 AM

I had high hopes for this new label in the beginning when they were releasing long-lost slasher type stuff. Now all they seem to be focusing on are 60's-era Lifetime Channel Sunday Night Movies. Wake me when they get to The Farmer.

#52 of 317 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 11:03 AM

Zombie Nightmare in October, I believe.

#53 of 317 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Luisito34 

I had high hopes for this new label in the beginning when they were releasing long-lost slasher type stuff. Now all they seem to be focusing on are 60's-era Lifetime Channel Sunday Night Movies. Wake me when they get to The Farmer.

With all due respect, many of us on this board enjoys the old classics and movies with stars from the golden Age of Hollywood. Yes, stars like Jean Simmons, Peter o'Toole, Katherine Ross, Jason Robard, James Coburn, Anne Heywood, Richard Attenborugh and Mae West still have fan bases. You are entitled to your opinions, but obviously older Hollywood films are not your cup of tea, there are other boards on the world wide web that discuss specifically about slasher genre and talks about labels that release this stuff like Blue Underground, Code Red, Synapse, so you are free to post there as well

#54 of 317 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by walter o 

With all due respect, many of us on this board enjoys the old classics and movies with stars from the golden Age of Hollywood. Yes, stars like Jean Simmons, Peter o'Toole, Katherine Ross, Jason Robard, James Coburn, Anne Heywood, Richard Attenborugh and Mae West still have fan bases. You are entitled to your opinions, but obviously older Hollywood films are not your cup of tea, there are other boards on the world wide web that discuss specifically about slasher genre and talks about labels that release this stuff like Blue Underground, Code Red, Synapse, so you are free to post there as well

Chill out, dude - I meant no disrespect. I'm as much of a film freak as anyone here. I've got  hundreds of DVDs of movies of all genres. Some of my favorites from the golden age are Von Ryan's Express, Flight of the Phoenix, The African Queen, you get the picture. I'm also crazy about Z-grade stuff like Maniac, Lucio Fulci films and cannibal flicks. Scorpion Releasing came out of nowhere with movies of one specific category and announced a number of others for future release but none of those have materialized. I'm just a bit concerned that they may have redirected their focus somewhat. I just hope they're still planning on releasing some of those titles previously announced. And judging from the paltry number of posts on this thread I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that the HTF isn't the right place to go to discuss movies with titles like Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker.

#55 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 07:51 AM

Only another couple of weeks till the film The Girl in Blue, starring David Selby and Maud Adams, is released. Beyond that I'm definitely interested in purchasing Fools and Who?. Might get Girls on the Road and Point of Terror.

#56 of 317 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 04:02 PM

They will also be releasing this month SKATEBOARD THE MOVIE with a youngTony Alva, so that should be fun!

#57 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 10:05 AM

Had an email from DeepDiscount yesterday to say my copy of The Girl in Blue has been shipped. Should get it in 2-3 weeks time.

#58 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 30 2010 - 07:34 AM

There is a review of Say Hello to Yesterday and The Girl in Blue on DVD Beaver. The links to both reviews are below:

Say Hello to Yesterday - DVD Beaver review

The Girl in Blue - DVD Beaver review

#59 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by walter o 

According to DVDAficionado, WHO streets at 11/30, FOOLS street on 10/26, GIRLS ON THE ROAD and POINT OF TERROR streets on 8/31. No dates listed for the others.

I've checked a few times on Amazon.com lately for DVD pre-order listings for Fools and Who?, but haven't been able to find them.

#60 of 317 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 10:48 AM

Girls on the Road and Point of Terror are out next week.

Are Fools and Who? available to pre-order on Amazon.com yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users