Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: GREMLINS (recommended!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 09:08 AM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,108 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 08 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the review.  I'm glad I snagged it at Targoet on Black Friday for $12.99

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,887 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the review confirming a solid transfer, Michael.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich ">

I'm glad I snagged it at Targoet on Black Friday for $12.99
Wish I could say the same -- they were all out at our Target although my wife did snag the 3-disc WoOz and 1-disc GwtW in that BF sale.  Will probably just wait for a solid deal later.  I've waited this long to own Gremlins, so I can probably wait a while longer for a good deal while I try to catch up on my seemingly ever-growing backlog of as-yet-unwatched titles.

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:04 AM

I watched this last night (via Netflix) and thought it looked very film-like.  I was happy there was no apparent DNR used.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 09 2009 - 08:44 AM

I'm gonna have to get this one. There's a wonderful anarchic spirit to this film that is unique to Joe Dante's work as far as live action filmmaking goes, and is a direct descendant of the anarchy present in the classic Looney Tunes. Why else would there be a Chuck Jones cameo. I'm snapping this one up as soon as I can.

Great review, Michael. I had no idea who Jeffrey Wells was before your review, and now could care less what he thinks. I found this comment on his site rather apt:

Quote:
Joe Gillis http://hollywood-els...ent/mt_logo.png"> says ..."Pay attention to me! The website needs hits! Pay attention to me!" 

For more detail on the various pop culture references, check out DVD Savant's review:

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks, Stephen. Wells has been a movie columnist and reviewer for over thirty years, but he's not one I usually pay close attention to. I used this particular piece, which is six months old, because it's rare to find someone who's supposed to be knowledgeable so forthrightly declaring themselves to be anti-grain.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

I'm gonna have to get this one. There's a wonderful anarchic spirit to this film that is unique to Joe Dante's work as far as live action filmmaking goes, and is a direct descendant of the anarchy present in the classic Looney Tunes. Why else would there be a Chuck Jones cameo. I'm snapping this one up as soon as I can.

For more detail on the various pop culture references, check out DVD Savant's review: www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3081grem.html
That's even more noticeable in the sequel, but somehow that one wasn't liked as much as the first one. I always though the opening gag with Bugs and Daffy and the actual movie breaking were hilarious. I hope that one will be released on Blu too.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,789 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 07:48 AM

Have you seen the fan made update of the film break scene? It's amazing!

It would be nice if Warners could include this when Gremlins 2 hits Blu Ray.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 08:21 AM

I laughed really hard during the Exorcist bit (the voices of the Gremlins instead of Regan already did the trick) but after a couple it got a bit boring, I think. And I do think a new Gremlins movie should be made, but only when they're done with puppets.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,439 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 01:52 PM

I had no real problems with the grain,  I was less happy with the number of actual print flaws and the general murkiness of much of the image - murkiness that I didn't think related to attempts to "sell" the effects.  Some of that's an 80s film stock thing, but I still thought this was a pretty dull, drab image...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users